Floating trub?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plotmaster

Reaction score
Hey all,

So today I decided to brew a recipe I've been tinkering with for a pina colada neipa

I'll not go too much into the recipe other than to say it involves dessicated coconut (no preservatives) and pineapple.

Normally I reduce trub/sediment in my fermenter by cold crashing/whirlpooling after the boil before racking to a fresh fermenter, leaving the sediment behind.

However.... With this brew all the sediment has risen to the top instead of sinking! Not too much of an issue as I can rack under the line of sediment, but does anyone know why this sediment has floated while the others all sink?

High oil content of the coconut?
I had suspected the coconut might be the factor here, I've put fruit in my brews before but never coconut.

Would make a lot of sense esp as I used a protofloc tablet which might've caused the grain sediment to bind up with the coconut.

Either way I don't mind too much, I've taken 12 months to perfect my American IPA and this is my first stab at a NEIPA, I expect a fair few tweaks to the recipe before it's ready for sharing!

Back