Flowery IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomR

Reaction score
I've been drinking some session ipa which have a really nice flowery fruity kind of flavour. Just wondering how to achieve a flavour like this?
Thanks Tom

I've been drinking some session ipa which have a really nice flowery fruity kind of flavour. Just wondering how to achieve a flavour like this?
Thanks Tom
Hey Tom, sounds nice, but help us out here. Was it a commercial beer? If so which one? Or was it a home-brew; any recipe details?
"Fruity" runs the whole gamut between lime and lychee, on the one hand, to prune juice on the other, on my scale.

Hi. It was commercial don't know the brewery and was called session ipa.
I was just wondering if there were any tips on getting that kind of summer flowery kind of flavour.
Sorry not very specific...

For floral aromas, you are probably looking at Centennial Hops, paired with something like Loral, Amarillo, Cascade or Ahtanum.

Another option, would be to use Elderflowers, although it's a bit early for them.

Last edited:
For floral aromas, you are probably looking a Centennial Hops, paired with something like Loral, Amarillo, Cascade or Ahtanum.

Another option, would be to use Elderflowers, although it's a bit early for them.
That's a good idea. I would recommend dried elderflowers as wild ones can be quite variable, even catty.

Just to be boring - I find I get a lovely fresh floral aroma just from Goldings hops. Fades fairly quickly though, not that beer in my house ever gets to a great age...

As someone has already mentioned, i brewed a Golden Ale last Autumn with Dried Elderflowers in it and that was very floral and full of flavour.

Yes towards the end of the boil, mine was probably last 10 to 15 minutes and I used 20 grams of dried elders.

Don't forget that "fruity" can also come from the yeast. An aromatic hop together with a high-ester yeast could easily be described as "flowery, fruity" in the final beer.

Back