Flue

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRB

Reaction score
Hi,
I want to start putting the lid on my boiler when I,m boiling the wort as the steam it's causing stains on my wall. I know I,ll need some sort of flue to fix through the lid, has anyone done this and if so any info welcome.

on my severin/brupaks enamel boiler its conveniently got a circle on the lid for a handle that i've cut through and is a good size for a pvc pipe.

it's great at stopping the drips from the ceiling landing in it but it boils so violently with the lid on that i cant put as much wort in (it leaks through the edges). it also gets frikkin hot! if i were to put the pipe on i'm not sure how i'd be able to take it off without burning my hands to put the hops in.

my advice is, if you do decide to put a flue on the lid, make sure you've got a really easy and safe way of dropping your hops in... like a trap door or something ;)

I had an issue with the steam causing condensation on the roof of my workshop and that then dripping back into me brew :( So i now place a fan next to the boiler and direct it across the top of the boiler towards the open door. This provides just enough airflow to prevent steam from condensating on my roof. Perhaps something along these lines could work for you?

I tried a fanned flue,

100_1841300x397.jpg

but now do what MEB does.

When I have a brew shed I will have a extractor hood but until then the fan will do

This is what I did with my old, defunct brewery.

Boiler.jpg

Haven't decided what I am going to do with my new shiny one yet.... :hmm:

Thanks pics as well :thumb: .

Vossy why don't you use your flue anymore did it knot work?
Billyb did it do the job well ?. Where did you get the flue from and does it have to be food grade.

DRB said:
Thanks pics as well :thumb: .

Billyb did it do the job well ?. Where did you get the flue from and does it have to be food grade.

The tubing is standard aluminium trunking for extractor fans from DIY places. It was attached to a cut down large polythene funnel. Yep food grade - well the same material as the poly boiler. The photo was taken 13 years ago and I am now typing this - so I guess it was food grade! :rofl:

I seem to remember V had problems with the fan not liking the hot steam - chemical smells and nasty drips into the wort

Yep, I placed the fan near the steam exit and chemicals leached out of the plastic and dripped into the beer...I should have seen that one coming really :roll: :oops: .... The fan could be placed at the other end of the flue and that would cure that problem.

I didn't clean the ducting either and it was full of talc which again made it's way into my beer :evil:
I also had problems with the fan being so powerful my 2 elements couldn't maintain a rolling boil.

It's on the back burner for the mo until I move house. I also bought a double stainless extractor hood...ready for the move...JIC from E-bay for £49 :cool:

Vossy1 said:
I also had problems with the fan being so powerful my 2 elements couldn't maintain a rolling boil.

I wonder if a PC power supply fan would be any good (you know, about 4 inches in diameter) :wha:

Back