• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Equipment For Sale FOR SALE new iSpindels - fully build and tested - £25 collected or £30 posted

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried starting to calibrate mine, but have not been able to achieve 25° angle in 20°c water.

I measured the water with 2 thermometers and both were reading at 20, but the iSpindel was reporting back at 22.5°c. Can I assume the thermo probe in the iSpindel is more accurate than my thermometers?

The gubbins are as far down as they can go, but I can only get around 30° angle at the above temp. Surely the 2.5° temp increase wouldn't give a 5° angle increase. Do I need to add some ballast?
Hi Luke
As long as you calibrated the device at 0° (as shown in the image) and the battery weighs more than 42g you should be able to get it close enough that adding ballast to get the 'ideal' angel makes no meaningful improvement in the accuracy. As other's have said an iSpindel is more for seeing when fermentation starts and finishes and getting a rough idea of the SG than measuring an accurate SG- things like the inevitable chunks of krausen that stick to the cap will make more different than a 5° variation from the ideal float angel (which will be, largely, compensated for by the formula created by your calibration). Which is why the final gravity reading should still be done with a hydrometer.

I assume it's not something simple like your normal hydrometer isn't reading an SG of exactly 1.000 in the water you used or the iSpindel is touching the side or something?

Attachments

• 1000025454.jpg
    1000025454.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0
What should the battery life be like on these?

Fully charged and new battery has dropped from 4.3 on Tuesday night to 3.3 at 4:32pm today. Intervel is set at 900.

The previous battery was seemingly completely discharged. It stopped reporting temp at 2.6 and I disconnected from Brewfather when it hit 2. It now won't recharge and it looks like this battery (from legit source and not the cheapest) is heading the same way.

Fully charged and new battery has dropped from 4.3 on Tuesday night to 3.3 at 4:32pm today. Intervel is set at 900.

The previous battery was seemingly completely discharged. It stopped reporting temp at 2.6 and I disconnected from Brewfather when it hit 2. It now won't recharge and it looks like this battery (from legit source and not the cheapest) is heading the same way.
Just looked at a recent brew from one I'm using personally from the same batch.
It dropped from 4.3v to 4.0v in thr 14 days it was tracking.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231026_174442_Brewfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20231026_174442_Brewfather.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 0

It should last months.
See this thread
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/ispindel-battery-life.99451/#post-1224092

Just double check the interval hasn’t magically changed on it’s own. On a recent brew, I thought I would redo the 0deg (actually 90deg) adjustment in the config menu. I didn’t check the settings and dropped it into the fermenter. It had gone from 900sec interval to 1sec. The battery level dropped like a stone. I fished it out, corrected the interval, sterilised it and dropped it back in. My battery is usually above 3.5v at the end of fermentation/dry hop.

Hmmm, downloaded the CSV.

Looks like at the start it was logging every 10 minutes, then yesterday at about 13:30 it switched to once an hour.

No idea what's going on as was set to 900 and I've not touched settings since. Hopefully it will last this brew, although as a strong lager that is doubtful. Is there a way to bring batteries back to life?

Anybody successfully set their iSpindel up in BierBot? I've added the BierBot API to the Configuration section in the portal and select BierBot as Service and clikced Save, but its not seeing my iSpindel as a BierBot brick.
Any ideas?

My Ispindel had started to eat through batteries and has now just stopped working!
I’ve only used it in 4 brews and no leaks.
Basically when you put a fresh battery in the green LED comes on bright and then slowly fades until it is completely out.
Anyone got any ideas?

Latest posts

Back