• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Equipment For Sale FOR SALE new iSpindels - fully build and tested - £25 collected or £30 posted

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another 2 popped in the post.

Thanks all

NameReservedPaidPosted
KHSYesYesYes
Scott1986YesYesYes
Leon103Yes
ridgepaddlerYesYesYes
dv12YesYesYes
ruskythegreatYesYesYes
clyneYesYesYes
nealeYesYesYes
@DSGYesYesYes
@abeamerYesYesYes

Last edited:
Here's mine in my current brew

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230805-154830.png
    Screenshot_20230805-154830.png
    42 KB · Views: 0
Cheers, Chris. Arrived today. Any recommendations for the battery?
Great :)

Something like this should be fine Samsung 25R - 18650 Battery - 2500mAh - 20A

However the prices seem to fluctuate quite a bit so as long as it's a flat top, 18650 cell, that weighs over 42g with 2500 to 3500mah capacity you should be fine. Lots of fakes about so use a reputable site (like www.nubattery.co.uk). Anything that claims a capacity over 3500mah is fake so ignore them!

PS this end is positive (+)
20230810_135613[1].jpg

and this end is negative (-)
20230810_135619[1].jpg

positive is at the top of the iSpindle (marked with a + ) and negative is at the bottom (marked with a minus - )
Make sure the battery goes in the right way round. If you get it wrong you'll get a cool magic smoke display... however it will only happen once and the iSpindel will likely not survive.
20230810_135632[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20230810_135613[1].jpg
    20230810_135613[1].jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 0
Great :)

Something like this should be fine Samsung 25R - 18650 Battery - 2500mAh - 20A

However the prices seem to fluctuate quite a bit so as long as it's a flat top, 18650 cell, that weighs over 42g with 2500 to 3500mah capacity you should be fine. Lots of fakes about so use a reputable site (like www.nubattery.co.uk). Anything that claims a capacity over 3500mah is fake so ignore them!

PS this end is positive (+)
View attachment 88742

and this end is negative (-)
View attachment 88743

positive is at the top of the iSpindle (marked with a + ) and negative is at the bottom (marked with a minus - )
Make sure the battery goes in the right way round. If you get it wrong you'll get a cool magic smoke display... however it will only happen once and the iSpindel will likely not survive.
View attachment 88745
Cheers for that. Do you need a charger too or can they be charged in place?

I had an issue with mine in that the battery ran flat in 3 weeks. I got mine from gingerneil. He swapped it out for me and for my latest brew, it lasted 3 weeks and the battery only went down from 4.3V to 4V. I expect to get 2-3 full brews from a charge

Last edited:
I'm finding that on my last few brews the battery runs down after a week or less. How long would you expect an iSpindel to be active from a full charge? And do iSpindel batteries have a shelf life? iSpindel was purchased under 2 years ago, October '21.

There's a lot of variables there.

1st, is your iSpindel using a genuine board (that supports deep sleep - if you purchased from myself it is but I don't recognise the username?)

2nd, do you have a genuine battery. This is tricky retrospectively but if the weight is about right, it's from a reputable seller and its a known make you're hopefully OK

3rd, how has rhe battery been treated?
Storing 18650 batteries fully charged is bad for them. If you don't plan to bree for a bit leave it turned on until it hits about 3.6v (fully charged is 4.2v)
Also cold crashing will be hard on the battery.

4th, how often are you logging data? This is configurable and the less often the longer it'll last.

5th, what was rhe batteries claimed capacity when new? I'd recommend between 2500mah and 3500mah (below 2500 isn't great quality and above 3500 is fake)

All theory said and done I treat my batteries like cr@p (prolonged crashing at 1°c, leaving them fully charged etc) and they should last 2 months with 15min logging (in theory, the longest I could find I'd left one on was 1 month and it was about halfway though). They are good 3500mah batteries though.

Hope that helps 😀

There's a lot of variables there.

1st, is your iSpindel using a genuine board (that supports deep sleep - if you purchased from myself it is but I don't recognise the username?)

2nd, do you have a genuine battery. This is tricky retrospectively but if the weight is about right, it's from a reputable seller and its a known make you're hopefully OK

3rd, how has rhe battery been treated?
Storing 18650 batteries fully charged is bad for them. If you don't plan to bree for a bit leave it turned on until it hits about 3.6v (fully charged is 4.2v)
Also cold crashing will be hard on the battery.

4th, how often are you logging data? This is configurable and the less often the longer it'll last.

5th, what was rhe batteries claimed capacity when new? I'd recommend between 2500mah and 3500mah (below 2500 isn't great quality and above 3500 is fake)

All theory said and done I treat my batteries like cr@p (prolonged crashing at 1°c, leaving them fully charged etc) and they should last 2 months with 15min logging (in theory, the longest I could find I'd left one on was 1 month and it was about halfway though). They are good 3500mah batteries though.

Hope that helps 😀
1. I assume so? ... I got it through this forum if I recall correctly. The supplier was assetsolution.co.uk; it came fully calibrated.
2. ditto? (the supplier is still in operation)
3. I generally run it until it stops sending, then store it till the next brew and charge it up then. If the brew finishes before the iSPindel gives up, I'll turn it off and store it part charged.
I don't often do cold crash.
4. I never changed the defualt config. Transmitting every 15 minutes.
5. No idea. It came fully fitted and I don't know what battery was supplied. The supplier web site does not discuss the battery: iSpindel & Full Calibrated Bundle

Thanks for the comments though.

I've tried starting to calibrate mine, but have not been able to achieve 25° angle in 20°c water.

I measured the water with 2 thermometers and both were reading at 20, but the iSpindel was reporting back at 22.5°c. Can I assume the thermo probe in the iSpindel is more accurate than my thermometers?

The gubbins are as far down as they can go, but I can only get around 30° angle at the above temp. Surely the 2.5° temp increase wouldn't give a 5° angle increase. Do I need to add some ballast?

Latest posts

Back