Four Priests Brewery YouTube channel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bare feet and boiling liquids ashock1 where are your crocks ?
I watched a video about making motorcycle parts in India and apparently bare feet are fine for industrial processes like welding these days. So I figured it’s OK for something as basic as brewing. ps The caustic melted the crocs.

Bare feet while welding? Shocking. At least these fellas have flip flops and top class eye protection.

Re: signage - IME breweries that aren't operating taprooms tend to be fairly discrete, I'd guess less than half have any signage at all. I suspect it's because if idiots have a choice between burgling a random industrial unit and one that will give them free beer - which will they choose? Also historically pub takings were mostly in cash and it suited heavily-taxed businesses to be paid in cash, so breweries tended to have a lot more cash than most kicking round the premises. That's obviously changed a lot in the last 10 years or so, but I don't know whether that message has got through to the average burglar.

It's obviously different if you're operating a taproom, but in that case you will have someone around more of the time.

Isn't it a requirement to display the company name at your official address?
Yes but it doesn't need to be on a sign in 6' letters, it needs merely to be "visible to visitors" or something like that, hence the traditional brass plaques.

Lost van drivers and very erratic postal staff are the main problem.
I've a relative that lives in the middle of nowhere, about a mile from the centre of their postcode. My solution is to just put the latitude/longitude either in the address or in the "comments" section - all delivery drivers have a satnav.

Often the problem with industrial estates is that units don't even have a number visible as you drive round - that should be enough for most deliveries.
And I want customers coming out of the Big Lock to see this beer they can't buy there, and head down the road to the Kings Lock or the Newton to see what it's all about :)
It's always a tradeoff - the small incremental publicity benefit versus the possibility of a catastrophic breakin. I'd have thought you're better off waiting til Easter and then doing a deal with either a boat or somewhere on the tow-path, to swap some beer (leftover test beer?) for the right to put a sign somewhere on the canal. At the moment you want people to know the name Four Priests, the address - beyond "somewhere in Middlewich" - is not important and in fact a risk.

Last edited:
The What3words app is so accurate it'll put you in a 3-meter square
Coordinates are so accurate they'll put you in a 3 micrometre square if you have enough decimal places....

W3W has its place, but takes more characters than coordinates and is less universal - for instance my car satnav understands coordinates but not W3W. W3W is good for when you're talking to someone, but there's no real advantage over coordinates when typing into a web page for delivery. And coordinates are probably more robust for delivery drivers who may not have English as their first language and who may misspell words they're not familiar with.

W3W has its place, but takes more characters than coordinates

We often have problems with sat-nav here in the lakes they are fine for town and city but hit and miss when you get into the countryside people who know delivery drivers often struggle to find them give us the W3W code instead.

I have never used latitude/longitude i wouldn't have a clue how to do it and have never heard of any other drivers or customers that do W3W is simple to use i guess that's why it is so popular.

Last edited:
We often have problems with sat-nav here in the lakes they are fine for town and city but hit and miss when you get into the countryside people who know delivery drivers often struggle to find them give us the W3W code instead.
Depends what countryside you're in - it sounds like you're describing more a problem with mountains getting in the way of line-of-sight to GPS satellites so the driver doesn't know where he is. That's a problem for W3W and coordinates equally, not just coordinates.

Try - Stunt.upset.stunning
53.1969,-2.4489

W3W needs a third more characters for the same level of 3m accuracy. I imagine that's how W3W works, it's mapping the words to coordinates at 4-decimal-place accuracy.

I have never used latitude/longitude i wouldn't have a clue how to do it and have never heard of any other drivers or customers that do W3W is simple to use i guess that's why it is so popular.
Whereas although I'm aware of W3W I've never known anyone use it in anger. So don't assume something is "popular" just because you know people who use it (and the same applies the other way to me of course).

Coordinates are everywhere - for instance, if you right-click on Google Maps, it comes up with the coordinates, if you then click on them it copies them to your clipboard.

Most modern smartphones have some kind of "where am I" or "send my location" feature which include the coordinates.

Let's leave it at both methods will get you to the place you need to go and let members decide which they prefer i never meant to turn it into a competition.

Chopps is getting into the Christmas spirit by posing in front of the copper making it look like he has elf ears
Screenshot_20221204-111014.jpg

Back