Freezer needed defrosting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moley

Regular.
Reaction score
As above, I have a small chest freezer down the cellar which is mine and mine alone. It was full of foraged fruits, bags of hops and a few home made sausages. When I bought a load of pork shoulder in the last few weeks I found there was no room for it in my freezer, which was also in serious need of defrosting.

So this morning I got some fruit out to thaw. I have just started off a big bucket of mixed red fruits wine to my standard recipe of:

A Quantity of Fruit
Some Water
Some Sugar
and maybe Some Grape Juice.

Now to work out my quantities.

1828 + 1309 + 1005 + 716 + 896 = 5754g Blackberries
1177 + 1326 + 488 = 2991g Elderberries
900g Raspberries
480g (bought, out of date) Aldi Black Forest fruits mix (cherries, grapes, blackberries, black currants & blueberries)
160g Rosehips
Covered with boiling water, left to cool for a while, then
2635 + 1382 = 4017g Damsons.

While mixing that lot I also finished half a bottle of white wine left over from last night (in addition to the beer I had at lunchtime) so just at the moment I can't be bothered to work out how much fruit that is in English or what volume it's heading for.

Me too! Freezer-reminder :) Someone left the freezer door a little open a while ago, the beginning of the end, so a gallon of blackberry wine just finished fermenting ( in only about a week ). Amazing hue. Used burgundy yeast upon recommendation. Hope its a cracker. Here's to freezers getting frozen up :cheers:

Done a few sums, 12.7 lbs blackberries, 6.6 lbs elderberries, 8.85 lbs damsons, 2 lbs raspberries plus oddments = 31.5 lbs total

Seems just about right for a 30 litre first batch (screw topped fermenter) then a 19 litre second batch (water cooler bottle).

If anybody fancies running the sugar calculations I would be much obliged, otherwise that really can wait until the morning.

Latest posts

Back