Freezing wort

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some of those.
Here's the trick.
Screw the lid on almost tight.
Tip it backwards so the lid is uppermost.
Squeeze* the sides, until the wort trickles out.
Nip it up quick.

Tada. No air gap. 👍🏻👍🏻

* there is a proper knack to this....
Between you knees works.
Up against a wall, knealing beside and pushing your knee in works too.
Finally a tennis ball between the tub and the wall helps with knee action.

Let us know how you get on.
So my cube is definitely 30l. Got 23l into it and even after a squeeze it has a fair bit of headspace in it.
I ain't going to lie in saying I got a bit scared moving it around after I closed it up. It got fairly soft after I put the wort in (90C). Turned it around a bit so that every side got wet and just pushed it into a corner. Not going to move it till this evening.

You need to fix that head space. Captain Infection and his crew of filthy miscreants are knocking on yoir door.

This is unless someone else can say this is perfectly OK and they have done it before. Because every strand of being is screaming bad news.

Wine, beer, jam pickle etc is filled to the top for preservative reasons notes cos the jars happen to be that size.

Wine, beer, jam pickle etc is filled to the top for preservative reasons notes cos the jars happen to be that size.
I think it's a bit of both. Jars of peanuts, elastic bands and bottles of shampoo are all filled to the brim to reduce the cost of packaging and has nothing to go with preservation.

I agree 100% about getting the air out for long-term storage but it will be in my fermenter in the morning (hopefully). I used that Hophead M66 yeast recently and it took about 36 hours before any sign of activity. To me, this is much the same.

So ... Spent the afternoon (well, the best part of) sloshing water between jugs, 10L kegs, "cubes" (the "Malt Miller" ones... I was lacking a bit of imagination?) and this "yet-to-be-used" "one-pot" brewing system (so I've already got a 70L 3V system, but it's out-of-commission until I find the energy ... meanwhile, I want BEER! Now.).

All these flippin' brewing calculators go about trying to work out the volumes at different stages, it would be rude not to have them figure out the starting volumes (batch volume) to make best use of your cube(s). So, for anyone interested:

Malt Miller cube = 21.9 litres volume to brim (little bit more than they say; which was 21.6L). 21.9L (@95C) will be 20.2L on cooling (@20C). I noted the cooling follows a curve (not straight line) so if steeping hops the shrinkage will be about half as much (2%) dropping 75C to 20C as (4%) 95C to 20C. So, 2x20.2+3 (it reckons you lose 3L in the transfer of boiler to fermenter ... we'll see about that!). So that's a batch size of (mumble, mumble), I'll add it up later.

Heck .... I need a life! (And a towel ... where'd all this water come from?).

Latest posts

Back