Fridge Fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No higher than 60W, in fact I have 60W in both mine and I get an overshoot in the smaller fridge (both undercounter larder type jobbies), in retrospect a 40W probably would have been fine. Don't use a fan either, convection works for me.

I tape a washing up sponge to the side of the fv then insert the probe (ooh - err!) between the fv and the sponge. I think I read some experiment that showed that insulating the probe against the wall of the fv is the most successful way of maintaining a steady temp.

Likewise, though you can just wedge a sponge between the FV and the fridge wall, probe on the FV side. No need for any tape.

Thank you for all the advise everyone, I went to Currys today and bought a new fridge after a week of chasing second hand fridges that had gone or looked too old.

I had all the parts ready and put it all together this morning.

13.05.2017.jpg

WOT???? NO FAN!!!!:sad::sad:

Chicken?? :electric:

Joking aside its air movement that your relying on to move heat and cold between the brew and the respective radiators in the fridge.

WOT???? NO FAN!!!!:sad::sad:

Chicken?? :electric:

Joking aside its air movement that your relying on to move heat and cold between the brew and the respective radiators in the fridge.
A few people said you don't need a fan (see comments in this thread), I can always add one at a later date if I need one.:thumb:

Are you sure that glass shelf is up to the job of holding 25kg?

Most members make a wooden shelf similar to the one below.

fridge.jpg

I have been doing some tests this week and I could only get the fridge fermenter to go as low as 3c so with the help of a YouTube video I took out thermostat. It went down to -1 no problem.

I would buy 2 larder fridges as then you can get two fv in at a time
use one for the ferment and one for the conditioning of the pb or bottles
both with the inkbird in

I have built myself another fermenting fridge so I can use one for fermenting and the other one for storing finished bottles.

What is the best temp to set the one for storing bottles, 12c? and where is the best place to put the thermometer, in a glass of water or another bubble wrap pocket on a bottle of beer?

Back