Galaxy Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 days, 1.009 and the sample jar tasted really great. Lovely taste and aroma that I recognise from commercial versions, though I could live with further punch in the hops so will definitely continue with the dry hop. It smelled fantastic through the fermentation, which was held at 18.5C for a day and then gradually up to 20C and now 21C. Still a good covering of plaster-coloured top yeast/protein gunk.

Going to rack this to a secondary tomorrow, stick the 50g dry hops in, hold warm for a couple of days and (assuming the gravity is stable) chill from there for a few more days before bottling.

Excited.

I can't believe a month has passed!

Thought I would offer an update, seeing that it's fair to judge these hoppy pales relatively young. I'm delighted with it.

The dry hops worked a treat...great aroma. Finished around 4.9% including the priming in the end. Definitely going to be repeated, and I don't do that too easily, with so many things to try. I prefer Galaxy to all the other modern hops I've tried so far, especially Cascade and Amarillo, for example, though who knows how my taste may evolve! I get orange with perhaps mango notes from it, which I prefer to Grapefruit any day.

To be super-critical, and I am being very harsh indeed on it here, I may just cut back slightly on the Munich next time and mash 1C higher. It finishes fairly dry - not unpleasantly so at all, but I would love it even more with just a little more fullness and sweetness in the finish.

Might try a 7% sort of version at some point too, keeping the BU:GU the same.

Cracking, and an instant hit with friends and family. :drink:

Latest posts

Back