Gas cylinder extension tube

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wontigonk

Reaction score
When I last brewed some years back, using a King Keg with float system and the top tap, there came a point where I had to use the Hambleton Bard CO2 cylinder to get the beer out.

New house, new problem. The ideal place for the nice full barrel is on a shelf with another directly above it so I wouldn't be able to use the cylinder without moving the barrel. I was thinking of building an extension tube from propane gas cyclinder tubing, and a couple of the spares Hambleton Bard sell (new keg valve to fit to the cylinder, sparklet adaptor to fit to the barrel) all held in place with jubillee clips.

Has anyone done this, and if so, any bear traps?

Or does any one have an easier solution (and no, I can't remove the upper shelf!)

S30 cylinders are at 800psi pressure . . . your extension hose with jubilee clips will not cut it.

I would suggest you abandon your S30 Setup for a Midget Widget Universal Barrel kit . . . this has a cylinder that stands next to the barrel, with a regulator handle which connects to the S30 Valve . . . its more controllable, and as the regulator handle reduces the pressure down to 65psi . . . its a better solution.

Thanks Aleman. I've been trawling the web looking for these, but have only come up with one described as "Widget World Interchangeable Gas System Starter Kit CO2 Complete To Fit Barrels With S30 Valve System". Pictures seem scarce! Is this the one you mean? I take it I could top up 2 barrels from it (not simultaneously) eg its not fixed to one barrel?

Wez,

I would certainly be interested - is that something to discuss off forum?

I’ve fitted my pressure barrels with “Schrader” valves.
I then cut the air pipe off an old car tyre pump and fitted an S30 to the cut end (held in place by a Jubilee clip).
It is quite easy to control the flow of CO2 by the amount you screw the cylinder onto the S30.
I’ve also fitted my barrels with pressure gauges so that I know the state of play.

Evanvine,

My barrel don't currently have pressure relief valves - as someone who doesn't like too much fizz, thats an appealing idea (quite apart from safety!). Which ones did you use - commercially available, or a DIY adaptation of something else?

Wontigonk
Now there’s an interesting user name!
A Schrader valve is NOT a pressure relief valve as it only allows flow one way, i.e. into the keg/barrel.
If as you say your pressure vessel is not fitted with a safety valve (normally 12psi) I should seriously consider fitting one!
The Schrader valves I use (liberated many years ago) were used by BT for their cable pressurisation scheme.
Some useless trivia
The idea was to pump compressed air into the underground cables to keep the wires dry in the event of cable sheath rupture.
Both the pressure and the flow of air could be monitored.
A drop in pressure would indicate a rupture and the amount of flow would indicate the size of the hole.
You really wanted to know that didn’t you!
If you’re interested I will post a pic of one to give you an idea of what to look for.

Evanvine,

Ah, but people remember it!

Sorry to be so long getting back - I've been busy elsewhere. A picture of pressure relief valve would be great - I don't seem to have found too many online, the best candidate being at http://www.stonehelm.co.uk/browser.php? ... oduct=8339

The info re BT was interesting - its throw aways like that that keep life interesting! I have a mate who is ex (or at least trying to be ex) BT, so I'll quiz him on that. I'd only come across shradre valves on bikes and cars before, so that sounds like some serious modding!

W this is a Schrader valve not a PRV!

1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

Thanks for that - um - I think I may stick with something from the shop! I'm happy trying DIY, but know my limits....

Back