Geterbrewed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster
Reaction score
I'm going to start off by saying that I order from Geterbrewed regularly and find them to be generally very good. I especially like their custom recipe builder.

However, I am anoyed with how they've conducted themselves following a mistake they made with an order my wife recently made.

I get home from work on Monday to find post with my name on it. I open the envelope and enclosed is a Geterbrewed gift voucher for my birthday (which is just after Christmas). Wondering why she's had it sent in my name rather than hers, I message her. She is understandably ****** off as she wanted to give me it on my birthday and doesn't know why they've used my name instead of hers.

I got her to check her account in case she had made a mistake, but she hadn't. The order shows the billing and shipping address being in her name.

She has since contacted Geterbrewed and has been met with little more than a shrug and a passing the buck, claiming that she didn't make it clear. I'll add that this is the third year running that she has ordered me a gift voucher from them and there has never been an issue before.

Aside from the poor response to their error, there are potential data protection implications given that my full name was never used on the order, yet Geterbrewed have used my full name on the envelope.

Once the gift voucher is spent, I don't think I'll be shopping with them any more. You can forgive a mistake being made, but poor service is inexcusable in my opinion.

Anyone else had issues with them recently?

Post Scriptum from the OP:
"I am happy to say that they have put it right and apologised for the error. I'd have rather not have had to post negatively about them, but I think it's important to share experiences good and bad."

"Is it possible for a mod to put this post at the top of the thread to show that the issue has been resolved?" I think so - Slid.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had poor service from them a couple of times which is why I've went back to HBC.

I've had minor issues with them a few times - wrong yeast once (didn't complain as the yeast that arrived was still suitable for the style I was brewing), called a couple of times to advise the yeast I'd ordered was actually out of stock, but gave the choice of a refund or a substitute which worked out fine and recently they forgot to put the hops I'd ordered in the parcel; however, by the time I'd contacted them they'd realised the mistake and had already sent the hops separately. They arrived in time for my planned brewday so all was well.

In my opinion they're a good company, sell at good prices, use a decent delivery firm (Parcelforce, not Yodel or Hermes or any of those clowns) and when they've made mistakes with my orders they've made good with the minimum fuss. They're human, mistakes will happen every so often - I order a lot of stuff from them, usually 3 brews-worth of ingredients a month and the number of problems I've had to deal with have been very low. They are my supplier of choice for sure.

I've had minor issues with them a few times - wrong yeast once (didn't complain as the yeast that arrived was still suitable for the style I was brewing), called a couple of times to advise the yeast I'd ordered was actually out of stock, but gave the choice of a refund or a substitute which worked out fine and recently they forgot to put the hops I'd ordered in the parcel; however, by the time I'd contacted them they'd realised the mistake and had already sent the hops separately. They arrived in time for my planned brewday so all was well.

In my opinion they're a good company, sell at good prices, use a decent delivery firm (Parcelforce, not Yodel or Hermes or any of those clowns) and when they've made mistakes with my orders they've made good with the minimum fuss. They're human, mistakes will happen every so often - I order a lot of stuff from them, usually 3 brews-worth of ingredients a month and the number of problems I've had to deal with have been very low. They are my supplier of choice for sure.
I’m not a big fan of Parcelforce (mainly because their depot is 30 miles away so if they don’t follow my “safe place” instructions it’s a long way to go).

GEB are very good at noting on the box for the delivery man to leave in my safe place.

I asked MM to do the same this week but they didn’t (but they were more than happy to write a stupid note in the box for someone and share it on social media) - they used DPD though so you can add a safe place on the tracking page of the DPD website and you have a time slot for delivery.

I’m not a big fan of Parcelforce (mainly because their depot is 30 miles away so if they don’t follow my “safe place” instructions it’s a long way to go). GEB are very good at noting on the box for the delivery man to leave in my safe place.
Actually, having praised Parcelforce I forgot they bollocksed up a delivery for me recently, delivering to the right house number but on the wrong road! When I called them to ask where they'd actually delivered (they sent me a delivery confirmation) they were no use whatsoever. Fortunately the house they delivered to was only about 100m away and the neighbour who took the delivery popped round to let me know they had my stuff. SO actually Parcelforce are pretty **** too sometimes!

Courier is my main reason for shopping at malt miler. The DPD service and in flight options are superb.
DPD are my courier of choice. I've got to know my DPD man quite well, he's gone out well beyond the call of duty to get parcels to me on time before.

I’m not a big fan of Parcelforce (mainly because their depot is 30 miles away so if they don’t follow my “safe place” instructions it’s a long way to go).

GEB are very good at noting on the box for the delivery man to leave in my safe place.

I asked MM to do the same this week but they didn’t (but they were more than happy to write a stupid note in the box for someone and share it on social media) - they used DPD though so you can add a safe place on the tracking page of the DPD website and you have a time slot for delivery.

I agree that the Delivery supplier is sometimes a big factor. My driver is always called Alan and he always remembers to "leave the box in the Porch". Unlike the other deliverer, who sent me a picture of my Porch instead.

I understand that mistakes happen, but my brew day was messed up because of something that was their fault and there was literally no apology for the error, and even when I suggested that I could go and collect ingredients from them that day (I live about half an hour away) which would have resolved the problem, they said "no we need a day's notice for collections". Again no apology for the inconvenience or effort to make an exception since it was their fault, just a flat refusal.

Delivery drivers can definitely make a big difference, which is why I can understand it's difficult for companies to choose a courier that will suit everyone. I really like the flexibility of DPD though.

Last edited:
I am happy to say that they have put it right and apologised for the error. I'd have rather not have had to post negatively about them, but I think it's important to share experiences good and bad.

Is it possible for a mod to put this post at the top of the thread to show that the issue has been resolved?

In this area, DPD are awful.
I have had problems several times with them, track parcel delivery say between 2 and 4 then no delivery and app reads delivery next day or next week if it's a friday.
Speaking to the guy at the Goods-In department where I work, he confirmed they were bad and said they are the only courier they have constant problems with.

GEB are my go to shop as they tend to be cheaper and service has been fine. Whenever I've had a problem they have resolved it without too much fuss, I feel I can rely on them if something goes wrong.

Once I got 2 recipe packs, both were a kilogram light. I spoke to them about it and they agreed to send the recipe packs again, but didn't include hops or yeast which is a bit strange. I appreciated their gesture to resend the malt, but it did feel like the bare minimum and made my brew plans a bit awkward as now I needed to get extra hops for these random sacks of malt. I couldn't be bothered to chase it any further though, and I can think of worse situations than being stuck with 2 malt bills!

I find service at HBSs quite bad anyway. With enough time I usually encounter bad service from a shop, worst being the homebrew centre, followed by Brew UK. The best has been the-homebrew-shop.co.uk and I would go there more, but they don't have the malt selection GEB does and they tend to be a bit more expensive.

I order from everywhere, and my stuff gets delivered by different couriers. Maybe it's where I live, or maybe I've just been lucky; but I honestly can't remember having cause to complain about any of them.
Just thought I'd share my positive experiences.

I bought the Lallemand New England Dry Yeast from them, where they break down a commercial pack into 25g home brew sachets, I got my first ever brew infection with a dry yeast, after 7 years of brewing.....me thinks something to do with them breaking onto a commercial pack of yeast......or a very unlucky coincidence!

I am happy to say that they have put it right and apologised for the error. I'd have rather not have had to post negatively about them, but I think it's important to share experiences good and bad.

Is it possible for a mod to put this post at the top of the thread to show that the issue has been resolved?

I had a go at adding your suggested addendum to the Original Post.

I would add that from my own experience the HB suppliers do not let us down, too much, too often, in general. Couriers probably have a very tough job and are rarely allowed enough time to complete the allotted drops in the allotted time - hence much of the frustration, I would suggest.

I'm going to start off by saying that I order from Geterbrewed regularly and find them to be generally very good. I especially like their custom recipe builder.

However, I am anoyed with how they've conducted themselves following a mistake they made with an order my wife recently made.

I get home from work on Monday to find post with my name on it. I open the envelope and enclosed is a Geterbrewed gift voucher for my birthday (which is just after Christmas). Wondering why she's had it sent in my name rather than hers, I message her. She is understandably ****** off as she wanted to give me it on my birthday and doesn't know why they've used my name instead of hers.

I got her to check her account in case she had made a mistake, but she hadn't. The order shows the billing and shipping address being in her name.

She has since contacted Geterbrewed and has been met with little more than a shrug and a passing the buck, claiming that she didn't make it clear. I'll add that this is the third year running that she has ordered me a gift voucher from them and there has never been an issue before.

Aside from the poor response to their error, there are potential data protection implications given that my full name was never used on the order, yet Geterbrewed have used my full name on the envelope.

Once the gift voucher is spent, I don't think I'll be shopping with them any more. You can forgive a mistake being made, but poor service is inexcusable in my opinion.

Anyone else had issues with them recently?

Post Scriptum from the OP:
"I am happy to say that they have put it right and apologised for the error. I'd have rather not have had to post negatively about them, but I think it's important to share experiences good and bad."

"Is it possible for a mod to put this post at the top of the thread to show that the issue has been resolved?" I think so - Slid.
Hey

Deborah and I were annoyed this had happened and we were thinking of how to fix it, hopefully our apology and gesture goes some way to fixing it, We do value all our customers and hopt this doesnt stop you working with us in the future

Thanks

Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back