Glasses , snobs or owt ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
I have always preferred a Tulip glass with no stem. I picked up a Stella Artois Cidre glass at work a few years back (I was working for a retailer at the time) and it is quite artful. Mainly SWMBO drinks Vimto from it. Too tall to fit in the dishwasher.

When in doubt, get the pewter tankard out.

I love this one ...

ManCity1.jpg
ManCity2.jpg

... it holds a 650ml bottle comfortably ... athumb..

... but it's so precious that I only use to for special Man. City moments! athumb.. athumb.. athumb..

In the picture below -

The first two are my usual glasses for most beers. The Erdinger one I use for Belgian wheats (it's great). The fourth glass I use for stronger, sipping beers, Belgians and the like. And the Leffe one I never use coz it's ****.

IMG_20180819_163149357.jpg

When in doubt, get the pewter tankard out.
I was given a Pewter Tankard for my 21st by an Aunt. The Tankard was lost on a trip to the Rugby League Challenge Cup final in either 1981 or 1982. The day of the loss, I do recall that I drank 15 pints. I was only a boy then, of 22 or 23 years.

The 1982 final is memorable in the sense that the lads from Glossop Rugby Club were standing behind one of the scoreboards and could actually see neither. The League scoring differed then, as it still does now, from Union and at the end of the game, which finished 14-14, it was very unclear who had won (or indeed, who had won what, against whom and for which). Wiki tells me that Hull won the replay on the following Tuesday, although my recollection was that Widnes won (?).

Widnes has a very quick winger called Stuart Wright who caught a ball in his own 25 (it became the 22 later) and it was very obvious from the perspective we had that no-one on the planet could prevent him from scoring, which he duly did. I think that the MoM was a Hull player called Knocker Norton, though I expect his Godparents may have given him a Christian name.

I’m not super picky about glassware but one feature I like is the top being narrower than the middle, as head formation just seems better that way. So tulip/snifter/Stella chalice good, shaker pint glass bad.

I'm starting to use 330ml bottles more and more these days, and I find this (330ml glass) lovely to drink a beer to be savoured from
DSC_0258.JPG

I got the Spieglau set last year, IPA, stout and tulip, also have 2 pint tankards, 2 half pint tankards, 1 brewdog 2/3 pint tulip and 2 brewdog teku glasses. My wife doesn't like the thin glass of the Spieglau set so uses the tankards for everything, the half pint ones make splitting a 500ml bottle so much easier than guessing the split in another glass.

I use the tulip and stout glass a lot, the IPA glass is to narrow to clean easily so I avoid it, also don't drink hoppy beers often. I do like a pint of bitter in the tankards too. Aroma is a bit better in the shaped glasses but as expected any flavour effects are either too subtle or pure marketing. :-)

Unmarried Members of the Forum may think that it's a conspiracy, but married men know that it is! clapa

My wife is actually responsible for nearly all my beer glasses. When my dad broke my favourite one when he was visiting, I got two via my wife as a Father’s Day gift a few weeks later and she grabbed some chalices from a pub giveaway too. Clearly I’m a lucky man.

My favorite glass is the 568ml (pint) that bulges briefly near the top. Not common in the US though. I bought them to accommodate the .5L bottles I use. Whenever I see one on a British show on Netflix, I hit pause and show my wife (sad, I know).
I guessed that the bulge is designed for better grip for someone who's had a few.

My favorite glass is the 568ml (pint) that bulges briefly near the top. Not common in the US though. I bought them to accommodate the .5L bottles I use. Whenever I see one on a British show on Netflix, I hit pause and show my wife (sad, I know).
I guessed that the bulge is designed for better grip for someone who's had a few.
The Nonic or Nonik (no nick) pint glass. The bulge is also to prevent the glasses sticking together when stacked and also to stop the rims of glasses touching each other when placed next to each other on a shelf or in a dishwasher tray, preventing chipping, nicking the rim.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Greene King once did a promo for their terrible IPA - "it's a pint and a half". Basically you got 1 1/2 pints in a suitably-sized glass for the price of a pint. You could probably find the glasses on eBay, which would have the added bonus of not having to drink 1 1/2 pints of GK IPA.
I'd offer you my glass, but it's packed away with my other 'trophy' glasses in a box in storage! It is currently Schrödinger's' glass - both intact and broken to smithereens until I check and collapse the waveform.

Back