Good cheap kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kybren

Reaction score
Hi all I recently moved and haven't got time for a full brew and also want to try a pressurebarrel I was gifted didnt want to out anything to expensive in incase it got infected even though I'm sure it's good I'm not 100%. But if it's good not something I wont want to drink. Been a while since iv done a kit so does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks

Wilko's Velvet Stout made up half a kilo of DME and the same of sugar (or BKE) is pretty cheap, drinkable and you may not have to pay P&P for it.

Hi all I recently moved and haven't got time for a full brew and also want to try a pressurebarrel I was gifted didnt want to out anything to expensive in incase it got infected even though I'm sure it's good I'm not 100%. But if it's good not something I wont want to drink. Been a while since iv done a kit so does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks
I found Young's definitive lager/bitter on eBay £12.75 delivered
Also simply lager/bitter plus 1kg brewing sugar for £15.39 delivered also on eBay
I've only tried the Young's bitter added northdown hops which was good

Good and cheap aren't often combined. A lot of merit in "you get what you pay for".

Never had any joy, success or results with kits - but do hope you manage find a good one that's a fair price.

Good and cheap aren't often combined. A lot of merit in "you get what you pay for".

Never had any joy, success or results with kits - but do hope you manage find a good one that's a fair price.
I agree with 'you get what you pay for'
However there's good and bad kits out there. But at the cheap end you really need to do something with them with one or more of extra hops, grain steeps or a minimash to get the best out of them.

Thanks
Why do you think your PB will give you infected beer? If you give the inside a good scrub as best you can with a bottle brush (on the assumption that it has a 2" cap) rinse well then fill it with water and add some bleach and then soak it for a day or two it should be OK, unless its really dirty. However if it is a second hand PB I would be considering changing all the seals unless you know its past history, or you could possibly be faffing about trying to get it gas tight with beer in it which isn't ideal.
More on PBs here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/guide-to-a-standard-home-brew-pressure-barrel.67042/

Yeah I realise cheap and good rarely go together, it's just a PB my dad gave me so not to sure of it yet, and because I moved I now have a induction hob so my big pot won't work plus busy with decorating.

Check the seals on pressure barrels, if the are old, replace them. Or you can replace whole top with the valve.
I used mine to ferment - with old lid, rubber bang and airlock - worked pretty well !
My first kit I ever done, was a simply mild kit with brewing enhancer (from fleebay costed around £15)- it came out pretty good.

hi kybren i would have to agree with farley , youngs definitive lager i tried on my first brew and was happy with it. i added a rowse 454g runny honey to it at start of mix and it came out at just over 6 abv. was pleasantely surprised. just didnt clear fully but was told by local shop maybe needed to sit for a bit longer. but as i say was good

Latest posts

Back