Gorse Flowers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManseMasher

Regular.
Reaction score
There is an abundance of gorse (or wind bush as it's known here) where I live. I've used them in wine before - the flowers have a kind of coconut smell about them. Considering using them in the last 10 minutes of the boil for a summer ale (going to call it windbush city limits). Anyone used these before? Any thoughts?

I tried picking some of these with the family last weekend to try and make some wine. They were an absolute bar-steward to get enough though. If anyone's got any tips for mass gathering, I've love to hear about it!

I tried picking some of these with the family last weekend to try and make some wine. They were an absolute bar-steward to get enough though. If anyone's got any tips for mass gathering, I've love to about it!
Kids and pocket money!!

How timely !
I am looking out of my window on the Isle of Skye at many gorse bushes in full bloom with every intention of picking them to make some wine following a recipe sent via Dorset home brew shop news letter. She (Coreen) also mentioned how difficult they were to harvest, a gallon of flowers to make a gallon of wine ! A friend of hers made a 'comb' using a two to three foot piece of wood with nails or screws through to make a comb with a tarp underneath the bush to catch the flowers. I will try this but try using a garden rake or grass rake instead.
I'll let you know how I get on. This is my first attempt at wine making since cheap kits in the eighties tho I do brew plenty of beer :whistle:

Two people, two hours and two gallons of gorse flowers, plus sore finger ends ! I did try a garden rake and a grass rake with a tarp underneath but it was a bit indiscriminate with a lot do debris mixed in.
Hey ho, no pain no gain... On with the brewing.
This is my first wine brewed for years, looking forward to it.

Good luck with the wine Redro. I've been making country wine for the last few years across the water from you at Arisaig. Gooseberry, rosehip, parsnip, beetroot and home grown grape. Some of it is still ageing to see if it improves. When I hit upon allgrain beer it has rather taken over. Pick your yeast carefully. For years I used ageing yeast from a big cheap tub. Not the best.

Keep us posted.

Well done Red. Agree with the no pain no gain principle. Mines still fernenting beautifully as wine which I'll be enjoying for Xmas, and probably beyond.
For the short term, I've steeped some of the flowers in white rum for mixers. Very interesting coconut/floral/pea flavour!

Thanks for the encouragement folks. There are two gallons fizzing away nicely now in a two gallon Youngs FV. Need to get some demijohns now for racking off and fermentation and clearing. I am expecting it to take four to six weeks to ferment and then I assume I keep racking until clear and then bottle. What sort of timescales should I be looking at ?
Godfather, I have sent a PM having just seen, and I think, lost yours ! Let me know if you have got it....

Back