Got myself 25 more demijohns

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamWise72

Reaction score
A friend came home from a car-boot sale with 2 DJs for me, and the news that the husband of the person selling them had "loads more". She had got the 2 for 50p each, and reckoned they'd let me have them even cheaper if I took the lot!

Well, I called the bloke, and he offered them to me for £2.50 each. He was a bit gobsmacked when I told him his wife had sold them for 50p each, but came down to £1 a go, so now I have 25 DJs for the price of 4! They want a bit of a clean, but alongside my existing 10, I really have no need to use plastic any more. What I do need, however, is about 25 airlocks......

222021_10150232558946826_555806825_8358843_7611968_n.jpg

SamWise72 said:
now I have 25 DJs for the price of 4! They want a bit of a clean, but alongside my existing 10, I really have no need to use plastic any more.
For now, at least ;)

A quid each is excellent, bloke's wife was giving them away at 50p. You've already identified the problem that it's going to cost you the same again for airlocks and bungs.

I still use plastic for working and short-term wines, but like to keep the (40-ish) glass DJs for medium to long-term maturation.

Yeah; I've been using PETs with no airlock to clear WOW, cider, ginger beer etc. If I'm wrong about the fermentation stopping, it's easy to pressure relieve them. I'm planning lots of country wines, plus blackberry, elderberry and blueberry ports in the autumn though, and then I'll be glad of them!

I can't really tell too well from that picture size but it does look like a few may have had screw tops once upon a time. No matter, a standard bung should still fit, it may only go in 2-3mm but that's enough. You can always whittle a standard bung down with a very sharp knife.

there are airlocks and rubber bungs at wilco's...
they work out expensive-ish but if you buy 5 packet (10 airlocks) then stagger your fermenting start dates this may be enough :D

I must admit, I felt like I wanted 8 or 10 more DJs, but......there were 25, so that's what I've got! I already had, I think, 10 djs and airlocks, and I reckon I'll buy another 10 airlocks for the moment, and see how it goes, but once we get to the season, and I'm making country wines, who knows? If I find some fruit, or see something on offer, I'm going to want to lob it in a DJ, and I might end up with lots on the go before I'm ready to bottle!

and if you feel like you've got too many, you could donate (or sell at mates rates) to a worthy cause (hint hint, someone on THBF who's lacking in glass DJs*) :party:

* not me, I've got enough for my needs already

Back