got sanitizer in my wort!!!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-Brew-it

Reaction score
Was making a brew today (beer kit) and I had everything done.everything was sanitized, I had my wort made up, got it to temp, added the yeast put the bubbler in place which had sanitizer in it. All I had to do was lift it up onto my fermenter stand which it was right next to. As soon as I lifted it it sucked the sanitizer out of the bubbler into the fermenter!!! So frustrating, I'm now thinking even if the beer still brews ok it would be undrinkable!? it's one of those bubblers with two bubble traps. It sucked about half the sanitizer up. the sanitizer is called chemipro oxi, a no rinse hygienic cleaner for light duty cleaning.
What do you guys think? has this happened to any of you guys before?

thanks, rob

Sounds like a few ml diluted in 19l? Doubt that'll harm you. See how it tastes when you take your first gravity sample. Definitely don't chuck it!

small mistakes are what we all learn by I doubt very indeed that by the time its ready for drinking you will have even the tinyest inkling that you got some mixed in at best it only probably upset a few thousand yeasts it will all recover and taste fine for sure is my bet :D

well I guess i'll have to see how it turns out, also just remembered I didn't add a camden tablet to the water that was added. don't know how that effects it though?

Airlock? I used to use one, but then clumsy mug here stood on it, so now I don't bother. So far not lost a brew yet!

Interestingly, went to the Lancaster Brewery the other week and their fermenters are open to the air :eek: The brewer said because the yeast are added when they're at their peak of "awakefulness", the krausen forms really quickly and that protects the beer.

Latest posts

Back