Grain Mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woolley2002

Reaction score
Looking into buying a grain mill, can anyone recommend one that they use or what to look for when buying one ie 2 roller or 3 roller.

Build quality isn’t great, rollers don’t set properly. Even though there’s a drill attachment it’s difficult to actually find a drill that will turn the thing and no matter how slow and steady you are with the drill it warps the metal casing around the gears and makes the rollers wobbly. I absolutely wrecked mine in about 2 years.

Build quality isn’t great, rollers don’t set properly. Even though there’s a drill attachment it’s difficult to actually find a drill that will turn the thing and no matter how slow and steady you are with the drill it warps the metal casing around the gears and makes the rollers wobbly. I absolutely wrecked mine in about 2 years.
Thanks for the warning, any you recommend?

Thanks for the warning, any you recommend?
I upgraded to the Grainfather mill last summer for my birthday. It’s an expensive piece of kit but worth every penny. It’s really quiet (no louder than a food processor), doesn’t spew out a load of dust so you can actually mill inside, and is really fast (the hopper is quite small, which is the only downside, and I have trouble keeping up with the pace of refill)

Exactly the same here, and the price is twice as much like the Chinese...

I upgraded to the Grainfather mill last summer for my birthday. It’s an expensive piece of kit but worth every penny. It’s really quiet (no louder than a food processor), doesn’t spew out a load of dust so you can actually mill inside, and is really fast (the hopper is quite small, which is the only downside, and I have trouble keeping up with the pace of refill)
Seconding the Grainfather mill.... yes it is expensive and no I don't have experience of other mills but it is an example of how engineering eventually moves to being a utility device that doesn't require expertise to use it. The ease and consistency of adjustment of the gap for milling is another of its USP's.

I have 3 mills, one is a 2 roller, reserved for milling Rye malt, the second is a three roller for the smaller grains, but not as small as the rye. The third is a geared 3 roller, easy to adjust to the different grain sizes one comes across in the base malts.

I'm curious about this. I've been using a 2 roller hand powered mill for 25 years or so, still going strong, and never given me a problem. The hopper only holds a kilo but I'm ready for a rest after a kilo. The rollers look quite long compared to the ones I see now on googling.

What is the drawback with 2 roller, or why is 3 roller better? I'm not being funny, I would like to know, I may have been missing something!

Cheers

I’m looking for a hand grain mill. I’ll only be using it once, for the barley I grew.
If anybody could post a link for one it would be appreciated.

I (finally) bought a geared fluted two roller mill from mash mashmaster also sold as millmaster. It is 1000% better than my previous two knurled mills, expensive but I doubt I will ever have to buy another mill!!

Thanks scomet for the reply, will look into it.
I used to ride my dads old Daytona 500 around the mountains here, loved it.
Emma

I have a 3 roller grain mill spare, it isn't geared but you are welcome to it. Postage would be a nightmare, who is your nearest homebrew store. I would presume Albury _ Wodonga area. I may be able to get it shipped there for zilch. Unless you have set your mind on one of the others.

Thanks Foxy, my nearest is Cheeky Peak Brewing Supplies. If you could get it shipped there it would be awesome. Much appreciated.
Emma.

I had a Malt Muncher manual.
upgraded to the Grainfather mill - as others have said brilliant piece of kit.

Attachments

• 822633BF-DF61-4F2E-A1B9-63EE43E1C41D.jpeg
    822633BF-DF61-4F2E-A1B9-63EE43E1C41D.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 24
Back