GrainFather Brew Day #23 - Deschutes Obsidian Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe taken from BYO (https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3417-deschutes-obsidian-stout-clone), scaled up to 23l and hops tweaked based on AAUs of the ones I have.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated FG: 1.018 SG
Estimated ABV: 6.4 %
Estimated Color: 100.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 54.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
5.00 kg Pale Malt
0.69 kg Black malt
0.50 kg Crystal, Dark
0.33 kg Carapils
0.33 kg Munich
0.33 kg Wheat
0.05 kg Roasted Barley
27.5 g Galena [15.2%] - 60 mins
27.5 g Willamette [6.9%] - 30 mins
1/4tsp Protafloc - 15 mins
27.5 g Northern Brewer [7.7%] - 5 mins
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (WYeast 1968)

Mash:
-----
66.0 C 60 min

I expected poor efficiency again so I added an extra 700g pale malt to try and compensate. Still only hit 1.064 but with a grain bill that size I wasn't surprised the efficiency was lower and it should still hit 6%.

Brew went relatively smoothly, only real issue was the top plate collapsing (this happened last time I done an 8kg grain bill as well!) during the mash which I didn't notice until the mash was done...no big deal tho, the filter stopped any of the grain which made its way through the overflow from getting in to the finished wort.

Because of the temperature of the groundwater the temp of the wort as it hit the FV was under 16c, I could have waited for the temp to rise before pitching but decided to pitch the yeast I'd harvested from my previous brew as it was sitting at 18c anyway so not much difference. It was all bubbling away nicely this morning with the fridge set to 18c, think I'll increase it to 20 or 21 once fermentation is nearly done to make sure it ferments fully.

I still couldn't get my wort aerator to work so I'll have to get that sorted before the next brew cos I'm sick of shaking the FV.

This is fermenting very slowly, checked yesterday and it is only down to 1.040. Probably because 18c was on the low side to get things going, I've put it up to 19c now so hopefully it'll speed things along.

This is coming in to its own now, I thought the black malt would be overpowering but it's settled down lovely. I can't put my finger on why but my darker beers seem to be turned out better than my pales these days.

Latest posts

Back