Grainfather Electric Grain mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a mill and electric drill but have been looking to replace it with an electric mill like this one.
I often do 60-70L batches so can use around 15kg malt per brew. How easy do you think it would be to replace the hopper with something bigger, or to extend the current one?
Does the motor get hot quickly? Since I started doing bigger batches I have already burnt out a Bosch drill and now mill my grain in batches, letting the drill cool for an hour or so before restarting.

I have a mill and electric drill but have been looking to replace it with an electric mill like this one.
I often do 60-70L batches so can use around 15kg malt per brew. How easy do you think it would be to replace the hopper with something bigger, or to extend the current one?
Does the motor get hot quickly? Since I started doing bigger batches I have already burnt out a Bosch drill and now mill my grain in batches, letting the drill cool for an hour or so before restarting.
This is from the Grainfather electric mill instruction manual regarding use-
13. DO NOT operate the appliance for over 6 minutes of continuous use and DO NOT crush over
10 kg of grain continuously.
NOTE: If crushing large quantities, allow the mill to
rest for 3 minutes after every 10 kg (22 lb) of grain
crushed. Once finished, turn off the mill

Thanks nibber. 3min rest between batches is decent. Im quite tempted by it as not seen anything of similar looking quality other than the SS brewtech one which is not far shy of a grand.

Sounds like you need a commercial mill...

Yes,the Ss Brewtech one is ridiculous money and hear people have had issues with uneven (parallel) gap setting on the rollers and sending them back.

Last edited:
The build quality on the GF mill is great. Very heavy and feels well made.

The hopper is empty in just under 30 seconds. I would suggest just measure out 10kg of grain and set a timer for 6 mins. Scoop the grain in and stop when empty or timer goes off.

Attachments

• IMG_7370.MOV
    47.2 MB
The build quality on the GF mill is great. Very heavy and feels well made.

The hopper is empty in just under 30 seconds. I would suggest just measure out 10kg of grain and set a timer for 6 mins. Scoop the grain in and stop when empty or timer goes off.
Yeah I was surprised how quick it emptied, had trouble keeping up with my refilling.

Bump as thinking of getting this for xmas as I finally,make the move to Crushing my own. So those who’ve purshased It, still happy? The early feedback was very positive.

are they still giving away 25kg of grain with it?

I uploaded a rather unremarkable video of some grain being milled here: Anna's Brewdays

I can't claim to be a connoisseur of grain mills, with this one being my first and hopefully only one. It is though compact, quick, creates near zero dust so can be used indoors, and is easily adjustable. I like it a lot. Sadly my brew days have been curtailed by a combination of different work pressures so it's hard to say what effect it has had on efficiency. I hit my expected OG spot on with my last brew, with mash recirculation and sparge working well despite it being a mash heavy on the modified grains which were milled more finely.

I like in particular being able to adjust easily and consistently the gap for milling depending on the size of grain milled.

Anna

Bump as thinking of getting this for xmas as I finally,make the move to Crushing my own. So those who’ve purshased It, still happy? The early feedback was very positive.

are they still giving away 25kg of grain with it?
Good luck! Ive been checking every few days and nowhere has had stock for well over a month... If you find one in stock let me know as Im really keen on this. I have a bulldog mill but just not very happy with it.

Sorry guys, we've been waiting for these to come back into stock for a while now. They may not make it this side of New Year though is the last I heard.

I thought my Maltzilla was expensive but the grainfather mill nearly twice the price. Can't believe that it's twice as good. I run the maltzilla off an electric drill battery. Works great.
Just to let you know the grainfather mill is out of stock down here as well.

I thought my Maltzilla was expensive but the grainfather mill nearly twice the price. Can't believe that it's twice as good. I run the maltzilla off an electric drill battery. Works great.
Just to let you know the grainfather mill is out of stock down here as well.
The only U.K. supplier I can see stocking the Maltzilla is Geterbrewed - £235 without a hopper or mounting board (I was £250 for my GF mill with both a hopper and a mounting board, and 25kg of floor malted Maris Otter). Obviously a massive jump in price for it from down under to here.

I googled the grainmill and amongst it all appeared and all steel grain mill attachment for a kitchen gadget on the Currys website.

I saw that too but discounted it. How would it rate for crushing 5kg of grain? I imagine is designed for bread making so on a much smaller scale?

edit
NOTE: Do not grind more than 1250 g (44.1 oz) (10 cups [2.4 mL]) of flour at one time; damage to mixer may result. After grinding 1250 g (44.1 oz)
(10 cups [2.4 mL]) of flour, allow the mixer to cool at least 45 minutes before using it again

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back