Grainfather options

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the G/F V1 controller is an uber simple on off thermostatic controller (stc200)
there is a reflash for a V1 stc1000 to add pid control and ramping https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p/blob/master/ovbsc/README.md
which will cram into the GF V1 control box without the ssr pump tweak while the same panel dimensions an stc1000 is a few cm deeper than an stc200..

But if you want the remote coms the phone app offers then the new controller is a significantly more sophisticated box of tricks and is quite cheap when compared to the few similar commercial offerings, for example I spent more when i bought into a group buy of the Leal build based on the infamous matho controller in kit form. (An Aussie Steve Matherson iirc published detailed how to's covering every aspect of his 'Braudino' controller including how to etch your own pcb for a custom arduino shield, circuit diagrams, options for DC and AC pump control and of course the software which has been used for the basis of more open source projects like OpenArdBir ..) might even be the base code for the G/F v2 controller for all i know :)

So You dont Need the more sophisticated controller, but if you dont get it get a kitchen timer as you will need to keep resetting one with the V1 basic on off controller.

I just bought the basic Grainfather. I'll play with it for a while, do a couple of brews, but I fully intend getting the new controller because of the additional features it offers and it links with the new Grainfather Connect App which will be much more fun. Buying it this way won't cost me any more but will spread the cost and make it seem like not such a hefty purchase.

Thanks for all your advice, I think I might go for the one with the control box, they're only £514 on Amazon which seems quite cheap? A couple of people have said they use a separate water heater to spare with, is that worth it?

Thanks for all your advice, I think I might go for the one with the control box, they're only �£514 on Amazon which seems quite cheap? A couple of people have said they use a separate water heater to spare with, is that worth it?

I wouldn't buy off that person on Amazon although they say they are grainfather. That can't be the price. It says - Dispatched from and sold by WẸ CAN'T DlSPATCH T0 ALL ADDRẸSSES; BẸF0RE "ȦDD T0 BASKẸT"; C0NTȦCT US: ✪✫info[ᴀᴛ]ddd484.com✫✪.

3 new from £514.00

A bit dodgy looking to me. Geterbrewed is £750 with a all grain kit and free sparge heater. You will need something to heat up the sparge water.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit dodgy looking to me. Geterbrewed is ��£750 with a all grain kit and free sparge heater. You will need something to heat up the sparge water.

To second Leon's comment - see this article: http://www.pcgamer.com/a-short-word...source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

There are quite a few similar scams going around (this one above was for PC parts, but same idea). Don't fall for it - buy from a reputable dealer. Whether one of the forum sponsors, or you local home brew shop, etc..

I bought mine from EllieClaires brewshop, she was very easy to deal with and super fast shipping as well as the best price.
Actually bought 4 from her and sold three in Sweden! Good price on Kits too.

I got the new controller the other day done two brews with it. Glad I went for it. It makes brew days much more relaxing. The mash temp stays nice and stable. And having the option to start heating water while I'm at work makes it possible to brew on a school night. Happy days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've actually gone the other way. I started off thinking about getting a grain father but am backtracking to thinking of making or getting a 3 vessel system.

Thanks for all your advice, I think I might go for the one with the control box, they're only �£514 on Amazon which seems quite cheap? A couple of people have said they use a separate water heater to spare with, is that worth it?

I contacted the 'seller' on Amazon and he replied telling me his account had been hacked. The old saying about a deal being to good to be true then it probably is.........

I've actually gone the other way. I started off thinking about getting a grain father but am backtracking to thinking of making or getting a 3 vessel system.

If you have the space you can make a 2/3 vessel brewery for a fraction of the cost of a grainfather, even using SS pots. (a dedicated hlt is a luxury a spare FV can easily replace to decant the tun drainings in until the kettle is free again.)

And you can design features to suit your preferences, for example i concentrated on minimising deadspace with my brewery build.

Hey there,

I saw the Amazon scam too, please people when something seems too good to be true it because it most certainly is, I did however take great pleasure in emailing the seller some choice words...never got back to me:twisted:

Anyway I was inches away from buying the Grainfather + connect from the-homebrew-shop but saved £50.00 and got a free mash kit by getting it from geterbrewed after reading this post, it should come with the sparge water heater for free and i also orderes some of the cleaner and the grain coat plus a mash paddle, so thanks.

Does anyone know if the grainfather iv ordered also comes with the old controller as well as the connect ?

Cheers

I got the new controller the other day done two brews with it. Glad I went for it. It makes brew days much more relaxing. The mash temp stays nice and stable. And having the option to start heating water while I'm at work makes it possible to brew on a school night. Happy days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd never thought of a reason to get the new controller until reading this! If I could start heating the mash water when I left work it'd be ready when I got home which would save me loads of time.

I can't believe I never thought of that either! :lol:

You need a timer capable of handling a 3kw load running thru it or a contactor to handle it, something that is used to switch lights on and of will most likely burn itself out switching an electric element on and of, you also don't want to get caught in traffic on the way home.

You could always use a plug in timer.

I can't believe I never thought of that either! :lol:
Plug in timer? What is this, the 1980's!? :lol:

WiFi plug surely? Can just imagine any one of about 10 scenarios where you end up not getting home when you expected and coming home to a house full of steam and water all over the floor using a timer.

Edit: Good point about the high power nature of water heating elements, check any sort of plug can handle this before use. Having said that, I use one on a espresso machine to turn it on to heat up from bed and it has always been fine, appreciate it isn't the same though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine from malt Miller.
Great company.
Thinking I'll buy the new controller, looked last nite how to get the recipe onto it...
I love gadgets, shiny shiny!....on-line shopping I'm afraid..
Got the smaller pipe work & and the GF HLT. Hops spider.
Need the therm jacket now!!! Just not only to feed my shopping appetite, but for better efficiency.
Don't believe scammers blatant!! Eh!

Back