Grainfather vs Still Spirits T500

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppingMad

Reaction score
The Grainfather Sparge water heater is circa £90.

The Still Spirits version is circa double that.

They look pretty much identical (Grainfather one has a visible water volume tube) and I had a suspicision, given they're both based in the same place in NZ, that they're the same company with different brands. That said, does anyone know of any reason why the T500 is so much more expensive?

Just in case the thread wanders a bit off topic could i remind members that discussing home distilling is against the forum rules.

I know there are optional extras available for the T500, but this is for the boiler only; or is the reason it’s so much more expensive the fact that it has the capability by adding the optional extras? Seems a tad excessive, if so, IMO?

So, for the boiler, there’s no technical difference for heating sparge water?

For context, the reason I was asking is I ordered a GF Heater but a "Still Spirits Turbo T500" heater was delivered. I was trying to determine if there was any significant difference between the two boliers, in terms of performance; I couldn't find any (they're both 2kw, so I would assume they'd perform similarly). However, I've decided I want the GF boiler I ordered regardless, as it'll go better (yes, that is important! :laugh8:) with my GF G30.

The only other difference I could see was capacity (GF 18L, T500 24L) but I don't think I'll ever need more than 18L.

Ok, having been told that the Grainfather Heater wasn't in stock, I decided it didn't make much difference and therefore I'd keep the T500. Having just unboxed it and filled it with water to clean ahead of a brew tomorrow, I have now noticed a fairly irritating significant difference.

The Grainfather version states it's "temperature controlled" and "Once water is at required temperature, it will hold that temperature until changed or turned off".

The T500 has an "On/Off" switch.

Yes, it's only a small difference and given the fact that many people don't seem to worry too much about sparge water temp it's not a major issue, but still; I was expecting this to be a "fill with water, set temp and forget about it until needed" to have one less thing to think about it, but that isn't to be. 😣

Don't know what you mean @Chippy_Tea 🤔

This has been discussed many times over the years so i assume most members know, i will post this for those that don't -

Distilling in the U.K is illegal (unless you have a distilling licence) therefore discussing the subject is against the forum rules.

anyhooo as always brian late at everything! least you know i scroll though and read threads lol.
i had the 16l GF HLT for years, sometimes sparge water is to high for brewing batch.
so i used my Still spirits in conduction i with inkbird 308 as it just has ON/OFF.
tbh apart from my lastest experiment for using the boiler as a FV.
ideal for BiAB, still need to set up profile on recipe software for mash & sparge, but good as full volume mash.
anyhoo! take care.
Bri

Latest posts

Back