grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul8080

Reaction score
hi all i have mashed in with 2.7kg crystal and 2.3kg of maris otter boiled for 1 hour with 20g of challenge hops this was meant to be a rasberry wheat beer got home from home brew shop and realised my grains where wrong was not going bk as it is miles away so decided to brew anyway thought i would experiment can anyone tell me what this is going to turn out like and should i add anything to it in second fermentation this is only my 3rd all grain so pretty new to this thanks paul :-P

That is a hell of a lot of crystal malt, usually less than 10% of grain bill.

It is certainly going to be very malty especially as the hop quantity is low. May also have a strong toffee flavour and possibly a bit burnt.

Probably not worth adding anything else, just carry it through and see how it turns out. May be one to leave to age for a few months.

let us know how it turns out.

I agree its a huge amount of crystal and not alot of bittering hops and no flavour or aroma hops. I suspect anything you add will be overpowered by the crystal but you could boil some more hops for half an hour or more in a litre or less of water to add a bit more bitterness. Did you take a hydrometer reading and what temperature and time did you mash? I am also very interested in what it is like.

hi simon12 mashed for one hour at 65 degrees c then boiled for 70 min took reading at 18 degrees c and it was 1.044 if i add more hops which type would you suggest but i mite just see how it turns out as is will keep you all updated thanks

As I suspected you efficiency with that much crystal is low but not crazy low assuming you got 23l. I am no hop expert just add what you like.

Back