Gravity Reading - Ready to Bottle?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LavaChild

Reaction score
Hello!

I pitched yeast on Sunday 30th March. Original gravity was 1.042. I took a gravity reading on Sunday 6th April and gravity reading was 1.008.

Before this reading there was no airlock activity. After taking the reading and resealing the FV and cleaning/topping up the airlock airlock activity commenced again.

I took a gravity reading today, Friday 11th April, and it is now 1.004. Again, before the reading was taken there was no airlock activity, now there is a little (but I only checked 10 mins after taking the reading as I had to leave for work - will see if there is still activity this evening).

I was planning on bottling tomorrow (Saturday 12th April) which would have given fermentation 13 days. However, the fact that gravity has fallen between Sunday 6th April and today, Friday 11th April, has me worried fermentation is still in progress - I don't want bottle bombs!

Can anybody comment? Can I bottle or not? Or is it still possible fermentation is on-going?

NB; This is a Youngs Harvest Pilsner Lager kit if this matters (used kit yeast).

Thanks!

What brew are we talking about here? Those are pretty low final gravities for homebrew!

I have two FVs - one never bubbles through the airlock cos it ain't airtight. One bubbles like a demon. They both ferment stuff though! Even taking gravity readings in not an exact science! There is no harm in giving it one more gentle stir and waiting another week? Folks on here leave it 3 or 4 weeks before kegging or bottling without worrying!

The advice I keep getting - 'patience' !!!

I have done a couple of these kits. Mine both stopped at 1.004. (and were very nice)

It sounds like it's done or almost done. However, as others have said, the word is "patience". Don't give it another stir - at this stage it's all about finishing off and clearing. If you have another FV, sanitise it and move it into there, leave it in the warm for a few days then into somewhere cooler for a week, and then bottle - this way you'll end up with much less sedement in the bottles.

It sounds like it's done or almost done. However, as others have said, the word is "patience". Don't give it another stir - at this stage it's all about finishing off and clearing. If you have another FV, sanitise it and move it into there, leave it in the warm for a few days then into somewhere cooler for a week, and then bottle - this way you'll end up with much less sedement in the bottles.

Hello,

1) Does this transfer to another FV count as the secondary? Or is this a third transfer? E.g., primary for primary fermentation (until krausen ring falls back) and secondary after this, then into a third FV for conditioning? Or do stages 2 and 3 combine in your recommendation? Either way, in which case I guess I should have racked sometime last week if that was the plan...

2) I've read bottles should be stored for 2 weeks in the warm and then 2 weeks in cold. Is this stage still necessary if you've done it in a FV instead?

Thanks.

Yes, this is what's referred to a secondary FV. The idea behind this is to get the beer away from the crud developed during the initial fermentation and let a lot of the suspended yeast drop out, which is why you put it somewhere cool.

After a week or so, the beer should have cleared, so it's ready for bottling. From this stage on, do as normal i.e. bottle with primer, in the warm for 2 weeks to generate some CO2 in the bottles, then into the cool to allow the beer to absorb the CO2 and start to condition.

No edit on this new board - should have added, you don't have to do this, many people just leave it in the primary FV for a little longer (3-4 week total). Some of us just prefer to move the beer to a secondary for clearing, I've only been doing this recently and it works for me.

Thank you. As a rule of thumb how long for primary and how long for secondary? I've read to rack to secondary as soon as primary fermentation has finished which could be as early as 3 - 5 days!

Back