Greetings from Germany...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimD

Reaction score
Hello all, and greetings from Germany (Cologne, to be exact). Well, German beer is good as far as it goes, but it's all extremely 'samey'... you're basically restricted to either lager or wheat beer (or the local 'Kölsch' that they brew around here, but that is, basically, still lager). And I really miss my bitters and pale ales.

So, the thought came to me that I would brew my own, and from the extremely limited research I've done thus far it seems that homebrewing has come on in leaps and bounds since my student days 25 years ago ( I never did it myself back then, just tasted the results of some of my friends efforts, which were pretty ropey.)

Odd thing is, though, I probably won't be saving any money by doing this: I can get 1/2 L can of perfectly drinkable Pilsner for 29 cents at my local supermarket!!! the expensive stuff goes as high as 79 cents!!!

I will, no doubt, be asking a lot of stupid Newbie questions in the beer making forum, so I'll ask you all to be patient with me in advance!

Cheers!

As I clicked on the thread title I was mentally drafting a greeting in German, but I didn't get far into your first paragraph before I realised that wasn't going to be necessary.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Ah Up Tim....A warm welcome :thumb: I have never been to Germany..but I have made a few batches of a Kolsch clone..I'm sure my brew won't be identical in taste etc to the Real thing!! but..It's still very Nice ;)

Welcome to the forum TimD....
You'll do just fine here...but one thing I think I should point out is you'd better stop drinking that 29cent lager....
Have you had a look in the mirror lately..... :rofl: :rofl:

Welcome on board! :thumb: loads of advice to be had here, so ask any questions that you need... the only stupid one is the one you don't ask that means you throw a brew away!

Hey, thanks, everyone, for the welcome.

highwayman said:
Ah Up Tim....A warm welcome :thumb: I have never been to Germany..but I have made a few batches of a Kolsch clone..I'm sure my brew won't be identical in taste etc to the Real thing!! but..It's still very Nice ;)

Highwayman, why anyone would want to clone kölsch is beyond me... :shock:

Dieseljockey said:
Welcome to the forum TimD....
You'll do just fine here...but one thing I think I should point out is you'd better stop drinking that 29cent lager....
Have you had a look in the mirror lately..... :rofl: :rofl:

Aaahhh... but it still has to be brewed according the the deutsches Reinheitsgebot (purity law). No additives in there, mate, only malt, hops, yeast and water. :thumb:

TimD said:
Highwayman, why anyone would want to clone kölsch is beyond me... :shock:

Ay Tim....It's a forum favourite..Several guys on here have brewed it :grin: It beats the local stuff we have on draught around here namely Fosters and Carling!!!! I love German beers ..especially kölsch ;)

Howdy doody dudey... I'm a newbie here too about to make the fateful step over to the dark side.. Welcome, and I ask stupid newbie questions... We all have to learn sometime, and we only have our peers to teach us

Back