Greetings from the Sun House Nano Brewery, Haltwhistle :)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LionOfNarnia

Reaction score
Greetings & a raised glass to my fellow Brewers & Fermenters of not-so-great Britain :)

It's become almost normal for "micro-breweries" to spring up, but as I only ever brew for self & CLOSE friends ;) I'd long since decided that the term was just 'too big' to apply to me, hence my adoption of the term 'nano-brewery' i.e. 1,000 times smaller than a micro.

I was introduced into fermenting back in the 90s' by my then-GF, who was a BIG red wine fan. I'd say at our peak we were putting down maybe a demijohn a night between us!

- and this was wine that would hold its' own against £15 a bottle commercial stuff ;)

However I moved to the Netherlands in early 2002 & due to the cheapness & deliciousness of the beer over there, felt no need at all to brew. I got into the higher-stregnth brews, notably Gulpener 'Gladiator' (10%, 89 cents a can) & Grolsche 'Kanon' (11.6%, €1.45 a can), plus the Belgian Trappist Trippels & Quads when I could get them.

When I returned home for good earlier this year, I KNEW that the only way I could afford a healthy beer-habbit was by doing it m'sel. So I plunged into it & have been putting out around 40 pints a fortnite since.

... nothing TOO fancy though! Just cheaper kits, but I 'boost' them to at least 7% & have also become a fan of that 'AlcoTech' type stuff. Just try mixing it 50/50 with "Frosty Jack" & you'll see what I mean :twisted:

Just from a quick flick through the forum I've already learned much of good use to me - like forgetting carb drops & batch-priming my brews with plain sugar, which is DAMNED handy as I have 40 pints of 7.8% Pilsner coming off over the weekend :D

Looking forwards to gaining more wisdom, and just possibly, sharing a little.

Apart from brewing, I'm into superbiking, powerkiting, blowpiping & cricket. I am a forum owner in my own right, am senior moderator for a 'voice control' application support forum & have written a mod-project for the amazing swords-magic-and-dragons RPG "Skyrim". For my sins I am also pack-leader to an insanely lively 14-month-old Min-Pin called 'Merlin' who has his own facebook page ;)

-Oh, the raised glass?

It contains 7.4% "Guiness" made from a Coopers dark stout kit. As will the next 3, after which I'll switch to 'Halty Dawg', my latest attempt to create an analog to the legendary 'Newcastle Brown' (i.e. "Dog")

Happy drinking
:cheers:

Welcome.....er how do you get involved in " blowpiping " ??

piddledribble said:
Welcome.....er how do you get involved in " blowpiping " ??

Well, here in the UK the simple answer is you can't :(

Not until I've persuaded HMG that it was a mistake to include the noble 'pipe in the CJA '89 naughty-list, that is ;)

I ran the best competitive club in the Netherlands for 3 years. It's very big in France, Germany, the USA & especially Japan, where they are pushing for it to become an Olympic sport :D

mickthetrick said:
hi and welcome.
real nice part of the country you're in. some beautiful places around them parts.
i was gifted a bottle of grolsch kannon a few months back. its one a would certainly sup again :thumb:

It's dog-walk heaven, for sure :D

(Nice way to work up a good thirst too ;) )

BOTTLES of Kanon? They're for lightweights, I drink it by the 500ml can ;)

Back