Greetings hop heads from sunny Ilkley!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopping_Mad

Regular.
Reaction score
Er, not sure what I'm supposed to be putting here, except how my recent re-introduction to home brewing came about?

Brewed with my late father at home in the 80's when Boots kits were somewhat rudimentary (although the stout wasn't too bad and did the job for a teenager who wanted to get a buzz on!).

Grew up drinking Tetleys in Headingley when it was a half decent pint and have basically drunk bitters and ales ever since.

The recent trend for craft beer and microbreweries has been a Godsend for me as mass produced ales got worse. West Yorkshire apparently has the highest concentration of microbreweries per capita of any county in England (something to do with local demand perhaps?). I have two fantastic breweries on my doorstep - Wharfebank in Otley and Ilkley Brewery in, er Ilkley!

Having been made redundant and had a 15% reduction in salary in my new job, I was looking for ways to have beer at reduced cost. I joined my local social club which always has guest cask ale from a local brewery, the other was to investigate home brewing again.

Got my starter gear with a Coopers Dark Ale kit, made it to instructions with the basic brewing sugar and do you know what? - it isn't too damn bad! Kits are obviously that much better than 30 years ago! Second kit is a ruby ale by St Peters which is bottled and conditioning. Making a St Pete's Golden Ale tomorrow.

Out of the blue last week, I got head hunted to a much higher salary level than before my redundancy, but do you know what - the process and quality of home brew is so much fun (...have you noticed his appreciative your friends who give you their empties are when they get some back with beer in?) that, even though my original motivator has been removed, I'm damn well going to carry on!

Supping a Coopers Dark Ale right now! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Welcome! The St Peter's Golden Ale kit needs a LOT longer to clear out the cidery taste than most other kits. Leave it in the fermenter a little longer before bottling, and make sure it's not too warm when it's fermenting. Or, use a different yeast!

Tom

Well I've found the bar and had a chat with folks already (...bit like I have a habit of doing in the real world too!).

Thanks for the tip on the St Peters kit - I've had a gander at the review thread and it's one for the long haul I feel. Be nice for when the sun starts shining and it warms up a bit!

Gonna try some of the robots tips now!

Hello, that sounds like an excellent return to home brewing. Best of luck with it all in the future.

Welcome to the Forum. I found the St Peters kit just about the best brew Ive made...strong and hoppy:drink::drink:

Welcome Hopping_Mad. Despite exile to the Alps, half of my roots are in Burley-in-Wharfedale, very special part of the world!

Loved the St Peters GA but for my taste it benefits from another 300g LME and most of all a decent dry hopping or hop tea. Currently got a couple of versions that I'm supping, one with citra and one with cascade - both crackers - enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back