Guess what I'm building this weekend....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gethin79

Reaction score

Just won a fridge on ebay for £10...happy days!! :cool:

plus a delivery yesterday of the bits in the photo!!

Should make fermenting just that little bit easier! :)

My other half thinks I'm getting into this too deep, too quickly!!

I say, "If you're going to do something, do it properly!"

Looking forward to building it.

I think if it wasn't for her I'd have the whole garage full of equipment already!!

"All the gear but no idea!!" :lol:

Probably best she keeps me in check a little bit!

My wife has given up, I told her I'm looking to get another fridge (already have two) and a fridge freezer. She just rolled her eyes :lol:

I'm itching to get my brew fridge sorted, almost have everything I need. I'm just waiting on some trailing sockets and a box from maplin to house it! Although I still need the fridge :( Hopefully I can pick one up as cheap as you did!

Have fun putting it all together :thumb:

Sone said:
Hopefully I can pick one up as cheap as you did!

The good thing for me was that the fridge is going in my garage, so the actual external condition of the fridge was really of no concern to me. That's how I managed to bag a cheap deal. Its a little tatty, but apparently works well (hopefully!!).

I'm hoping to buy another one by the end of the week which I can keep on chill to put lager and other conditioning bottles into. For around the £10 mark, you can't really go wrong! :thumb:

Will post some pics once I've got it all up and running :electric:

Mine will be going in the garage too so no real bother with fridge condition either, time to get searching again :D Looking forward to the pictures

Gethin79 said:

My wife started like this... Now I am building HER a kegerator this weekend :)

Gethin79 said:
Sone said:
Hopefully I can pick one up as cheap as you did!

The good thing for me was that the fridge is going in my garage, so the actual external condition of the fridge was really of no concern to me. That's how I managed to bag a cheap deal. Its a little tatty, but apparently works well (hopefully!!).

I'm hoping to buy another one by the end of the week which I can keep on chill to put lager and other conditioning bottles into. For around the £10 mark, you can't really go wrong! :thumb:

Will post some pics once I've got it all up and running :electric:

Does the fridge actually need to work, or am I being a total a**e??

I plan to go down the fridge route at some point, but for now I'm waiting for my aquarium heater to make a brew tub.

I'm useless with electrics, but the video on you tube was brill, shows just how easy it actually is.

Good luck.

Cornish Knocker said:

It depends really where you intend to put the fridge. Mine is going in my detached garage, which at this time of year gets very cold, so the chances are the fridge will not have to run yet. The heater will heat the inside nicely and the ambient temperature will do the rest.
Come summer, the garage does get warm, so to keep brewing at a constant temperature, the fridge will need to kick in. Especially if you intend to brew a lager at lower temperatures. You just have to keep the fridge thermostat at maximum (lowest temp) and allow the STC1000 to control the temperature.

I'm sure in certain circumstances, depending on where the fridge is put and what you are brewing, it may not be necessary for the fridge to actually work, in which case you have yourself a ready made brewing cupboard!

Hope this makes sense! :cheers:

Gethin79 said:
Cornish Knocker said:

It depends really where you intend to put the fridge. Mine is going in my detached garage, which at this time of year gets very cold, so the chances are the fridge will not have to run yet. The heater will heat the inside nicely and the ambient temperature will do the rest.
Come summer, the garage does get warm, so to keep brewing at a constant temperature, the fridge will need to kick in. Especially if you intend to brew a lager at lower temperatures. You just have to keep the fridge thermostat at maximum (lowest temp) and allow the STC1000 to control the temperature.

I'm sure in certain circumstances, depending on where the fridge is put and what you are brewing, it may not be necessary for the fridge to actually work, in which case you have yourself a ready made brewing cupboard!

Hope this makes sense! :cheers:

Thanks, it does. I hadn't thought about the cooling aspect, only the heating.

Where I plan to put my fridge, probably won't need a cooler, but I haven't precisely checked it during the summer though.

Thanks again. Look forward to seeing the pics of your weekend job.

Gethin79 said:

Sounds like you have a very similar approach to mine. I have no experience of brewing but part of the fun is learning all about it and doing as best job as you can from the off.
It was a test of patience but I managed to wait for all of my 'parts' to arrive then build my brew fridge before starting my 1st brew. Really glad I did though.

Good luck with the build. It really isn't that hard but the sense if satisfaction when it fires up for the 1st time is great. Then when you start the brew the fun really begins....

Very cool, also gratz on the Ebay score!

I'll be making a thermostat setup just like yours this weekend, should be getting the STC-1000 in the post today! I also nailed a fridge for $20 USD, Über-cheap! :D

Latest posts

Back