Guinness are at it again...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a pub near me that sold all the right sort of beer, not just the mass produced pop ****, but never seemed to serve it well. I couldn't figure it out. Ended up having a random conversation with someone who was saying the pub's cellars were a long way from the bar and they have a "7 pint line", meaning the line was so long it had 7 pints of beer in there. Probably explains why nothing tasted quite right, especially if you were going a little off piste.

Guinness has changed so much over the last 15 to 20 years that it is now absolute shyte, wherever in the world you try it.
The myth that it doesn't travel well is down to the fact that hardly anyone drinks it abroad. I'm sure Diageo will tell you their sales worldwide are huge but I've travelled all over the world and you just don't see people in bars knocking back pint after pint of Guinness. I've never seen it once in the 30+ countries I've visited. You'll see it in most bars in Ireland though.
Oh and the length of the line plays a massive part. The longer it gets, the flatter and tasteless the beer becomes. A good way to spot this is to time how long the turbulence takes to settle.
As for that Open Gate bollox, it's just Guinness being greedy. The amount of awful beers they are now producing is incredible. But why bother spending the time to produce something great when you can advertise your new range on TV and force all the bars they have ties with to sell it.
I despise Guinness!
Harrrruuuumph!

I lived in Ireland for a bit. Guinness is as terrible there as it is here, nothing special about it either side of the sea. It would vary from pub to pub due to different pubs having qualities of storing their beers, kind of like when I was in Prague and the quality of Staropramen and Urquell changed dramatically depending where I was.

What I found hilarious was the locals saying "Guinness is better here, they have teams of people who drive round in vans checking it!" Only in Ireland would someone be employed to drink and drive.

The frequently punted opinion that big brewers can't make good beer is both wrong and irritating.

they have the resources
They have the skilled staff
They have the knowledge

Oh they can do it Ok, but in practice they brew to sell to make £ the customer is king and such stuff. Sadly they are often let down by the poor cellar skill in the pub. Guinness actuary seems more sensitive that a lot of other beer to storage and handling abuses.

AAmcle

If it's hophouse 13 you're talking about it has 3 hop varieties in it. Galaxy, Topaz and Mosaic. I find it to be quite good on draught but pretty awful in a bottle. I can only guess this is to do with storage. I'm guessing the draught is possibly fresher, the bottles I had didn't have the same hoppiness at all.

You've not been to Malaysia then. The old ladies sit around drinking a 50:50 mix of Guinness and coke.

Actually, I have been to Malaysia. Entered it via Thailand (where my mate bought a half pint of Guinness in an Irish bar that was so bad, he was an inch away from being violently sick). Travelled the whole way down Malaysia to Kuala Lumpur without seeing anyone drinking a pint of G. Then I arrived in Singapore where they had an Irish bar that had a leader board of G pint drinkers. So I thought it might be ok since there were a lot of names on the board. I was wrong. It was foul! I couldn't believe that the guy on top of the leader board had drank 200 pints of that shyte. He mustn't have a tongue in his head. Then I went to Indonesia. Again, nobody drinking pints of the black stuff.

Even in Canada, USA, Australia and NZ, you don't often see people drinking it. And there are a lot of Irish in those countries.

I hear it's huge in Nigeria but I've never been. Wonder what it tastes like there. Probably the same as everywhere else....****.

Guinness lager, huh? Do ya mean this stuff? :laugh8::laugh8:

Stay sharp my bollox! Harp is one of the worst lagers in the world. I read somewhere that it was the first export lager on draft in England. I actually felt sorry for the English.

It was also going to be axed a few years ago, due do dwindling sales, unless Guinness could find another country to take it on. However they found a work-around and just brought out Harp Ice and advertised the fook out of it. The people in N. Ireland lapped that shyte up. Ahh, just make it colder so people don't notice the awful taste as much. That'll do. Good job guys.

I hear it's huge in Nigeria but I've never been. Wonder what it tastes like there. Probably the same as everywhere else....****.

I think they mostly drink the foreign extra version in Nigeria (and africa in general), according to my colleague who travels there a lot anyway.

For an unknown reason, the place I saw Guinness most in SE Asia was Cambodia, seemed to be everywhere compared to the neighbouring countries. Tasted alright too, at least compared to some of the other options available :laugh8:

Colleague was over in Kenya and there was a group of guys in his hotel from Guinness showing Tusker how to brew on a mass scale.

Latest posts

Back