GWs Guinness Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portreath

Landlord.
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience of brew the Guinness Extra Stout from GWs CAMBRA book? I'll be giving it a go tomorrow. I've done a few brews from the book and so far most have been really good.So I'm wondering if anyone has given it a go or even improved on it.

Cheers

I've made it a couple of times. I liked it. I made it with S04 yeast and found that it was a little sweet at first, after a couple of weeks it was at its best and after a few months it had dried out a little too much for my liking.

Has anyone had any experience of brew the Guinness Extra Stout from GWs CAMBRA book? I'll be giving it a go tomorrow. I've done a few brews from the book and so far most have been really good.So I'm wondering if anyone has given it a go or even improved on it.

Cheers

This is one with ~ 1kg of flaked barley and ~ 500g of Roast Barley for 25L. This makes quite an "edgy" stout in that there is a noticeable difference from the Greg Hughes recipe for a dry stout, for instance.

I would suggest that you go with this for the first Dry Stout and see how you like it. It is not going to taste or look like a Guinness you get in an English pub, due to the lactic acid and nitrogen added to kegged pub beer, but both will have their plusses and minuses.

I really like a stout and would encourage you to try different recipes over time.

Back