half a keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdennehy

Reaction score
Hi iv been wondering if its ok to split my brew half and half between bottles and my new keg? If so is there any thing different I should do when kegging? For example put some co2 in at the start to purge the excess air?

Thanks Phil

It's totally fine. Give the keg a whole co2 bulb then release to vent off the air. Loads on here do this.

Hello there, I'm sure others on here may have a different opinion but I don't see it being an issue, and did exactly this with a batch I had in a king keg. Bottled a few, kegged/ primed the rest and purged with a blast of co2. Only advice I would give you is to calculate your sugar properly as I added way to much to mine, may be worth doing a batch prime?

Thanks I'll give it a go. Been reading a lot about bottled brew tasting better than kegged so at least I'll have some to compare.

Thanks

IMHO...I dont like the idea of splitting a brew between a keg and a bottle. The reason is, that you are wasting the half space in your keg. Kegged beers take long enough to ondition, so I think you should maximize the space in the keg.
Do two brews, keg one and bottle the other

I've split a brew between keg and bottle before, the only problem I have noticed is that the tail end of the keg tends to taste a bit off. I think thats possibly as it becomes oxidised owing to less C02 in the keg.

If I do a keg brew now, I will often syphon off about 6 or 8 bottles for longer term storage and see how they compare 6 months down the line

Back