Have a go at simple AG

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Tim Wilkes

Reaction score
I've just done my second AG (using @MyQul's maxi BIAB method for 23L) and it was much less stressful than my first using this method. Learned so much from the first one that made the second much more relaxed (so much so that I got the washing and ironing done at the same time!).

Andybiker

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been doing kit brews for a few months now and thought I'd have a go at this.

I've got all the ingredients in the list, but I cant see the addition of any brewing sugar.

Sorry if this is a newb question but do AG kits not need brewing sugar?

Thanks.

Markk

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been doing kit brews for a few months now and thought I'd have a go at this.

I've got all the ingredients in the list, but I cant see the addition of any brewing sugar.

Sorry if this is a newb question but do AG kits not need brewing sugar?

Thanks.
All the sugar you need will come from the grains. Good luck. I followed the instructions in the OP in July 2019 after doing kits for 6 months previous to that and haven’t done another kit since.
(apart from the cider in the FV for the missus)

Andybiker

Reaction score
Thanks mate.

Had a bash today..

When filtering through muslin it clogged up so used a fine sieve but after 10 mins in the fermentation fridge there seems a lot of hop sediment. Is this going to be a problem?

20200701_191203.jpg

NPi

Reaction score
Great. Thanks fella. Just seems a lot more than usual.
Moving from kits to AG, I was really surprised by the increase in trub, however through doing more brews you learn how to reduce this. My beers are so clear now sometimes it takes weeks for them to carbonate. But nothing better than pouring out a bottle and only the smallest film of trub remaining. Try "whirlpooling", filtering and cold crashing. Plenty of information on the site that will serve you well.

Cheers, Nick

Andybiker

Reaction score
Thanks mate.

I already cold crash, however I'll look into 'whirlpooling'

I don't mind the trub, there just seems loads, especially as this was about 10 mins after pitching and fermentation hadn't even started yet.

Cheers again.

Andybiker

Reaction score
Hi guys, forgot to check the gravity before pitching. Can anyone advise roughly what this would have been and what the final should be?

Thanks.

Andygsf

Reaction score
Well .... I followed the op instructions and used cascade hop Pellets , I can't believe I've made beer tasting this good . Just got to wait and see what it's like in a few weeks.. no looking back now I've got 4 kits sitting in the cupboard . Hum what to do with them ? Thanks very much for the info and what a great op instructions .