Haw Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakrabbit

Reaction score
Its that time of year again where the hedgerows are full of interesting stuff. So, as well as a gallon of wild rosehip wine, ive decided to try something very different!

For those that dont know, Haws are the fruit of the Hawthorn bush, whose flowers are called Mayflowers. Haws are also known in some places as 'bread and cheese' berries! They are not a sweet fruit!

I live in a farming village so plenty of interesting hedgerows and one just a minutes walk from my home has the biggest haws ive ever seen!

So, heres what im trying -

1.5kg Haws
1.5kg sugar
3 bag brew
1tsp pectolase
1tsp citric acid
usual additives

Its a very basic recipe. Its all under campden at the moment, i'll pitch the yeast tomorrow (general purpose wine yeast)

This isnt going to be a quick wine either, ive seen 18-24 months as a basic maturing time!

I love scavenging the hedgerows for stuff; mainly for jams and chutneys but I have a brew on the go (waiting to clear) in which I am using Rowan Berries for bittering instead of Hops.

In view of the fact that there are some nasty fruits in them there hedgerows, here is a great read for anyone who wishes to follow suit:

http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/wfs/wfsberries.htm

Enjoy! athumb..

In view of the fact that there are some nasty fruits in them there hedgerows, here is a great read for anyone who wishes to follow suit:

http://www.countrylovers.co.uk/wfs/wfsberries.htm

Interesting read that link thank you...

YEW [Taxus baccata]
Regarded as one of THE most poisonous and deadly plant materials around the scarlet berries of yew contain a slightly sugary gloop surrounding the seed and which can be extracted by VERY GENTLY squeezing the berry. The inner brown-black seed is deadly poisonous and must not be eaten.

If you wish to try the yew berry sap it is ESSENTIAL to check your personal tolerance before trying. In any event only try the sap of one
or two berries as a larger quantity might well contain a sufficient build up of toxins which could cause harm. One best left to foraging professionals.

I'll leave that one to the professionals then. ashock1

I've got lots of hawthorn berries in the bushes around my garden and locally. I had thought of trying to make a wine with them; there would still be plenty left for the birds over winter (an important consideration, as far as I'm concerned). I did a bit of research and decided it was too risky from a toxicity viewpoint, and basically just not worth the candle. Prompted by this thread I've re-done the research and come to the same conclusion -- I'm going to leave all the haw berries for the wild birds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back