Hazelwood’s Brewday Part 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve now kegged the Mosaic Pale and the Bitter. I’ll have next week off from brewing and then I’ll get 4 more brews on the go.

8B81D818-B8F2-4FCE-8B6F-C44987B81F38.jpeg
EE7FBF75-3AFD-4955-9A6A-0A7CB5BEB99B.jpeg

Wow... How many pints will that be in total (taking into account a few cheeky sips) 😊
Total capacity is a lot : 13 Cornie kegs + 5 King kegs + 1 barrel + 120 bottles + 4 fermenters.

At the moment 1 cornie and 4 king kegs are empty and I have nothing fermenting.

The Cornie kegs are at various levels with my Weissbier and IPA about quarter full, 1 keg is virtually full, 4 kegs are conditioning, the others are all about 3/4 full.

Pop round?

Total capacity is a lot : 13 Cornie kegs + 5 King kegs + 1 barrel + 120 bottles + 4 fermenters.

At the moment 1 cornie and 4 king kegs are empty and I have nothing fermenting.

The Cornie kegs are at various levels with my Weissbier and IPA about quarter full, 1 keg is virtually full, 4 kegs are conditioning, the others are all about 3/4 full.

Pop round?
Quick question.. Once a Cornie keg is started, even with Co2 pumping in, how long would the beer remain fresh? Bearing in mind it could be 25% full after a 2 or 3 weeks?

Quick question.. Once a Cornie keg is started, even with Co2 pumping in, how long would the beer remain fresh? Bearing in mind it could be 25% full after a 2 or 3 weeks?
Quite a long time. I don’t think any of mine have lasted beyond about 3 months before they’ve been drunk but there’s no reason the beer couldn’t last longer. Flavour does fade over time though, particularly hoppy beers.

I’m planning my next tranche of brewdays and had already settled on another bitter, another pilsner, and a batch of Summer Breeze because I’ve not made any for a while and I owe someone a bottle.

This morning it suddenly came to me what I should try as my fourth beer - a cherry brandy sour! I’m already excited! Do I oak it? 🤷‍♂️

I’ve decided to do a brew tomorrow because my fourth beer in this next tranche is going to be an oaked cherry brandy sour and I want to get the beer off the trub and on the fruit before I head off to Cornwall for a few days.

Water is prepared and I’m just waiting on my drill battery to charge before milling the grist.

I’ve not seen an oaked cherry brandy sour before so I might be an innovator or an idiot. I hope the former! 😂

Finally for today, introducing “Magnum Opus” (It’s a latin expression for an artists best work). This is a beautiful 4.7% English Bitter utilising the “new” Opus hop along with Fuggles and EKG. I’m struggling to describe this one but maybe floral, honeyed caramel, earthy, a touch of tangerine zest and spice. Hmmm, this might just be my magnum opus!

574B854B-3407-4889-A2B2-CF61E6939AE2.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back