Hazelwood Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve just kegged my latest American Pale Ale “Cascadia”. The final gravity was 1006 as expected so the ABV is 4.33%. A nice clean ale so should clear quite quickly. This has gone into a King Keg and my brew-shed is now full.

View attachment 38495

I have one King Keg left in the garage that will hold the Plum Porter I still have fermenting and I will then have a full-house.
When we're back in Tier 3 I will be round for a session 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺😂

In all the excitement about the New Year I completely forgot to update my thread regarding the kegging of my plum porter.

I kegged it yesterday and it smelled so nice I was really torn whether to add the plum flavouring or not. If I’d had a spare keg I would have split the batch. In the end I made myself add the flavouring because I’d intended to brew a plum porter and told myself to stick to the plan.

So here it is, sitting in my fermentation cabinet for a few days while I carb it up. I’ve not primed it, the fermentation cabinet is at 14 degrees, the same as the brew-shed. I’m carbing it from my CO2 bottle but it’s in the fermentation cabinet because all other spaces are filled. I’ll move it to my garage when I get the next brew fermenting (next week).

FA3F9116-485B-4912-ABA0-989DDDF30B97.jpeg

It finished at 1014 for an ABV of 4.73%

It’s been just over two weeks since my last taste test so time for another taster session. I’ve been drinking the beers from my first tasting session so I won’t taste those again today 😉

First today I’m going to try the English Pale. It’s two weeks and two days out of the fermenter and 4.73%. This is one of the beers in one of my King Kegs and pressure in the keg is 7.8psi. You can see from the picture it’s well carbonated with a nice white head, is pale gold in colour, and is pretty clear.

89DE39E6-39A0-4376-BE37-A4335960A6B8.jpeg

The aroma is clean so I’m not expecting any off-flavours. It smells quite fruity and a little bready. The flavour is nice but not yet mellowed. There is a zingy citrusy fruit flavour and something more berry flavoured like redcurrants. A bready malt flavour follows and lingers for a while. Just a mild bitterness on the finish which is quite dry. This is drinkable now if you don’t mind the youthful breadiness but I think I’ll leave it for another couple of weeks.

Next up is my “Cascadia” American Pale. This is one of my options for this months competition although at this stage it is only five days out of the fermenter. Again this is one of my King Keg beers, keg pressure is at 7.0psi.

You can immediately see this beer is not yet clear. The golden caramel colour may fade to more golden as the beer clears. Carbonation is good enough to form a loose off-white head

D20FE164-3680-46C8-B6FE-AE3601784D0B.jpeg

The aroma of this beer is like that of Tutti-Fruity sweets for anyone that remembers them - sweet and really fruity. There is a slight alcohol aroma and sweet biscuit malt. The aromas are quite exciting. The flavour is a mix of good and bad (at this stage). The ripe tropical fruit from the aroma is there in the flavours but is far more subdued than the aroma suggests. The alcohol actually isn’t noticeable at all in the taste and at just 4.33% I really wouldn’t expect it to stand out. The biscuit malt aroma is again a bit subdued and more bready than biscuity. Bitterness is definitely present and the overall impression is a little pithy.

This beer needs to mature quickly if it’s going to be a contender for the American Pales competition.

One of tasters I was looking forward to is this second batch of Summer Breeze. This is also a contender for the American Pales competition and being better conditioned at two weeks and one day out of the fermenter should be ready in time. This one is kegged in a King Keg and the keg pressure is 8.4psi (I serve the version in a corny at 12psi). Both are the same otherwise and are 5.25%.

C2AFD8C0-D254-447C-950E-81F0442D2316.jpeg

Having been carbonated for longer you can see the head is more dense and hangs around. The honey-coloured beer is still not quite clear.

The aroma is both tropical fruit and caramel malt, flavours are similar with quite strong bitterness and residual sweetness. Definitely not yet at it’s best but developing nicely.

My Doppelbock at 6.56% is slightly light on ABV for the style but is another I’ve been looking forward to trying. It’s two weeks out of the fermenter, kegged in a King Keg and pressure at the moment is just 5.4psi so I think I might need to give it a lift. Despite the soft carbonation it does still have quite a good tan-coloured head. The beer itself is very dark but when caught in the light has a ruby tinge. I think the beer is clear

B86E5D36-4D7E-4422-87C6-BA640F723821.jpeg

The aroma is not particularly strong and is possibly most reminiscent of a stout with some sweet fruity notes. The flavour is very different to a stout though. I had the idea some time ago of making a malt monster and that’s pretty much what this is. It tastes of dark malt but is pretty intense. There is a little dark fruit in there too - like prunes maybe.

As I get to the bottom of the glass I can see straight through the last half centimetre depth - it is perfectly clear.

I just offered my wife a taste expecting her to screw up her face and say that’s really strong. Instead, her eyes widened, a big smile opened across her face and she put the glass to her lips again. I might have a contender for the dark beers!

Where do you go after the Doppelbock? Russian Imperial of course!

This one is 9.8%, kegged in a King Keg (pressure is 8.4psi), and is one day short of three weeks out of the fermenter.

In appearance it’s jet black with no colourful tinges. The head is thick and luxurious and is brown. At this point I have no idea if it’s clear because I can’t see through it at all even at the rim in a tilted glass.

4DAFE403-914B-4A89-983C-4438DCADEA66.jpeg

Aroma is hazelnut, chocolate, coffee, alcohol in that order - the hazelnut is intense, the alcohol barely noticeable.

Flavour is intense and overloads the senses, I can barely distinguish any specific flavours in the first sip. It’s like the flavours have tripped my tastebuds!

Over the next few sips I’ve gradually reset the trip on my tastebuds and can taste each of the things I picked up in the aroma but each of them is really intense at the moment and the alcohol is strong.

I can’t really tell if there is any bitterness, there is a little sweetness on the finish and there is some tackiness on my lips.

This will need many weeks to come together but if anyone needs an alcohol-based, hazelnut flavoured bitumen substitute in the meantime, give me a shout. 😉

Last edited:
That’s all the King Kegs, just two new beers on tap to try. First my 5.1% German Pilsner.

This beer is 10 days conditioned and is still quite hazy. Very pale in colour, thin white head that faded over a couple of minutes but remained as a ring around the glass.

6821AACF-FB9F-4F4D-BFBC-47182C6F9D15.jpeg
The aroma is mild and is hoppy with a little soft malt. Maybe a hint of sulphur but just a hint.

At the first sip I was treated to an immediate fizzing fruity sensation and after a little while the malt came through. Bitterness is at the lower end of the scale for this style but for me it suits the beer. The mouthfeel is soft and the finish is dry. I’m liking this.

To finish, my 8-day conditioned 4.46% Bavarian Weizen.

This one is quite highly carbonated and to avoid foam I’m having to turn down the flow control quite a lot - might need to address that. The beer itself is very pale coloured and is hazy. I’m not sure how much more it will clear given that this is a wheat beer but time will tell.

15772134-E585-4DC7-9A7F-39CB68E31326.jpeg

The aroma is quite mild but there are esters in this here beer, clove is the most distinct.

The flavour is also mild. To start it’s mainly fizz but the finish yields just a hint of banana. I can’t say I’m getting any cloves - more an impression of clove from the aroma. I may need to ferment at a higher temperature next time.

It is only 8 days old and is served cold so there is time for the flavours to develop and time when I pour a pint for it to warm a little.

Latest posts

Back