headless beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houndeye

Reaction score
hi all.i bottled a Geordie mild a week ago which tastes not to bad.got a little fizz when I took the top off but I got no head on the pint.now I had a bit of bother when I bottled. the pipe from the auto syphon was missing so had to make something up.when I transferred to my sfv I had loads of air bubbles in the tube.so did this have anything to do with it not having no head.it was fermenting for 2 weeks cold crashed 1 week.bottled 4 days at mo.shame as I'm pleased with the taste at moment

hi all.i bottled a Geordie mild a week ago which tastes not to bad.got a little fizz when I took the top off but I got no head on the pint.now I had a bit of bother when I bottled. the pipe from the auto syphon was missing so had to make something up.when I transferred to my sfv I had loads of air bubbles in the tube.so did this have anything to do with it not having no head.it was fermenting for 2 weeks cold crashed 1 week.bottled 4 days at mo.shame as I'm pleased with the taste at moment
Air bubbles in pipe would be from suspended CO2 from primary fermentation. The lack of head could be adding too much water to the brew. Type of sugar added will effect body too so if lack of unfermentable sugars are in it it will make the beer thin and cause no head.

this was my 2nd brew.make up of 500g light malt 300g brew enhancer 200g brewing sugar made upto 21ltrs.did I get mix wrong?

Well it will take longer anyway to carb up fully, especially since you cold crashed for one week. 2 weeks is normally required for carbonation.. whilst you will get fizz at 7 days it is unlikley it will be fully carbed and a few days cool or chilled to help the co2 get into the beer helps aswell

Also your glassware can have a big difference on the head remaining , however in this case I suspect its just a bit too young.

4 days is too soon. It will be two to three weeks to fully carb, probably.

Oh okay thanks. Did notice when I went to rinse bottle out with a splash of water I put hand over top gave a little shake and nearly blew hand off.did have a little sediment on bottom of bottle

Needs more time it will improve, Just leave them another 10 days or so in the warm.. then you can put them in the cold.. stick a few in the fridge if you can to chill them (remove to desired serving temp)..

I have a little beer chiller fridge which I turn down so its at cool temp not lager temps

Latest posts

Back