heat mat or similar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanbamber123

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a heat mat or similar to heat my cider because my room swince this new central heating. is to cold
Any tips on what to use? :thumb: (sorry if im in the wrong forum)

Hello Alan and welcome to the forum.

Heat mats and suchlike can be bought from all homebrew shops and homebrew internet retailers. There is a bit of a debate as to whether the demijohn electric heat bands are any good though. They are not thermostatically controlled and tend to cook the brew because the temperature is too high.

I have never bothered with the mats or belts, mainly because of the price. The alternative I always use is a thermostatically controlled electric blanket. I bought a single one from Argos and at the time it was about £12. It has three heat settings and I wrap it around my fermenter using a couple of bungee straps. It covers the whole fermenter and can be washed when required.

Just this morning I wrapped it around my bin of fiery ginger beer because it was minus three overnight. Once the brew is warmed up a little I will switch it down to number one and this will ferment comfortably at around 24 degrees.

Cheers Neil :thumb:

Latest posts

Back