heater belt , quick question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toastie

Regular.
Reaction score
hello , just got a heat belt, is says not to have anything els touching it , i would like to rap it in a blankets as well , what do you think ?

cheers d

really ? o bloody ell , the temp of the cupboard the kegs in still hasn't got over 20 but i spose it could be hotter inside the keg .

20 deg c is fine for fermenting even 18 is your better off standing your fv in a larger vessel and fill that with water like a bath or use an aquarium heater

iv got no where to do it that way unfortunately , its in the keg now and just wanted some heat in it before i move it to its colder place on Sunday , since i put the beer it in the keg its been 17 or 18 most of the time , the air in the cupboard is now with the heat belt on at 21 but iv not get a stick on thermometer on the keg , i guess that would be a more useful reading , i can then take the heater off if needs be .

how much is a stat and does it measure the heat ov the bucket/keg or just the surrounding air ?

cheers d

i see a few on ebay for 30 quid ish , i will just have to hope for the best . and keep a close eye on the temp i spos

cheers

You can adjust the amount of heat your belt provides by moving it up or down the FV (higher up for lower heat). It'll need a bit of trial and error and this won't account for the heat the fermenting beer will produce but it is manageable. A thermostat is the ideal solution but it's worth giving your new belt a chance.

I had some success controlling the temp with a heated tray on a timer plug. Your belt could work the same way. You'd need this type of timer plug not the digital type.

image.pl

mine has 96 little push in segments (15 minutes each) I started with every other one pushed in to give 15mins/15mins off through the day. I then found the beer was ok during the day but getting cold at night so I pushed in a few more segments during the night. Once it started getting too hot I pulled out a few and so on. It actually gave me pretty good temp control and it's cheap - Ebay £2.99 delivered.

Or, if you're really concerned, you could take your new belt back to the shop and buy an aquarium heater as mentioned in another recent post. About £8, thermostat included.

Latest posts

Back