Heating element size

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathal

Reaction score
HI all,

I'm going to pull the trigger on a control panel kit from theelectricbrewery.com over the coming weeks, but I'm undecided on what heating element to buy and would appreciate some advice.

The panel is going to be in a shed which already has a 32amp circuit going out to it. There are some sockets, lights on their own mcbs and a 25amp rcbo which is earmarked for the brewery. So the big question is what size elements can I safely use? The two options I can think of are a 4500kw that draws 19.5amps or a 3500kw that draws 15amps. The panel and pumps will draw about 4amps between them so I'm wondering if 23.5/24amps with the larger element is too close to 25amps. Some people recommend that you don't go over 80% of the circuit rating, I'm not sure if this is a US thing or global. Any advice on element size would be much appreciated.

The kettle is 50L, but the HLT is only going to be heating 35ish and the kettle will only be heating 30L. BUT..id rather have the larger element to reduce wait times if it's safe to do so.

Back