Hefe Hefe Hooray!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NegFerret

Reaction score
Hefe...

Everyone's brewin' 'em at the moment, and I brewed my first a couple of weeks ago.

Bottled it up last night, and it tastes nice - not a bad first attempt. :thumb:

I've used a very simple recipe, 50/50 wheat and pilsen malt with 12ibu's of saaz and the all important wlp380.

My question is, does anyone have any ideas on how I could spice this up a little? I'm planning another Hefe for this weekend, the only item I absolutely need to use is the wlp380 as I've harvested it from the last batch.

Hope someone can help, cheers!

I like to take that 50% pilsen and turn it into 30% Vienna or Munich and then 20% pilsen or pale. That adds a bit of richness to it IMO.

ah, I have ordered a kilo of munich as I thought it might be a suggestion. I might also try upping the IBU a little.

I fermented at about 22c last time around, might have a go at stepping it up from something a little lower over a week.

On my last one I made, I also did a stepped mash. Not sure if it really added anything or if I was just rationalizing the extra time I spent but it ended up being one of my best hefes to date.

I tend to ferment mine a towards the higher end because I like a little more banana than clove in my hefes. It's a nice beer to have on tap in the summer.

My last hefe had 2kg of vienna in it and is lovely - I read on the forum that underpitching the yeast in a hefe can help develop more flavour also :D
Will try this next hefe which will be after the summer ale and wit bier :cool:

Latest posts

Back