Hefeweizen Kveik?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentish Mike

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've never used Kveik yeast before, but I'm curious.
I was thinking of trying to brew a dunkelweizen with Kveik and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of a strain that can give something like those banana and clove notes? Alternatively, any suggestions for a strain that might give some different but complimentary ones?

Cheers,

Mike

Hi All,

I've never used Kveik yeast before, but I'm curious.
I was thinking of trying to brew a dunkelweizen with Kveik and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of a strain that can give something like those banana and clove notes? Alternatively, any suggestions for a strain that might give some different but complimentary ones?

You're out of luck - it's one of the defining characters of kveiks that all the "true" Norwegian kveiks are non-phenolic, so don't do the clove/pepper thing. Muri looks like it's not a kveik but a derivative of WLP351 Bavarian Weizen or a close relative that presumably was a contaminant somewhere along the line.

It seems that some of the Baltic yeasts are phenolic, but as a result they are generally not considered true kveiks - Jovaru from Lithuania is about the only one that is easy to get hold of (from Omega), but it seems to be more on the peppery side (I've not used it).

Don't force these things - let kveiks do what they're good at and let proper weizen yeasts do what they're good at.

Latest posts

Back