eBay Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi.

Has anyone bought Kveik from Hebb42 on eBay? There are a few different types he has there and I'm wondering if anyone has tried them & what they think of them. If so, any tips on usage and storage would be much appreciated. I'd also keen to try out harvesting as well.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/hebb42
Cheers
J

Some of it sounds good and the reviews are mostly positive. Just don't want to ruin a good brew and would have more confidence if people here tried it.

There's good info on storing kveik in this video. Also, regarding whether these eBay kveik are any good, the general history and how they've been shared, used and stored by generations of farmhouse brewers, should paint a picture of how reliable they are to use.

https://www.youtube.com/live/bREPI2p-d8g?si=W6bBwWPiM9beAe_e
Yeap. Watched that. I believe this is kveik some guy in Scotland is producing. Do the same rules apply?

I suspect he's following the same process. Brewing, top cropping then drying, and selling the flakes. As said in the video, drying is great way to clean the kveik yeast.

I think this is very interesting, it’s like an actual farmhouse grade farmhouse yeast that hasn’t been lab processed I guess.

I wouldn’t know quite what to do with “bacteria: yes” though. I don’t have a complete separate set of equipment.

I wouldn’t know quite what to do with “bacteria: yes” though. I don’t have a complete separate set of equipment.
The higher temperature that kveik ferments at is also the optimal temperature that bacteria grows. Unlike modern beer, not all farmhouse ales were hopped or boiled with hops, so knowing this bacterial content becomes important if you were to replicate this practice. The solution is hopping above 15-20 IBU's as it limits bacterial growth, as brewers do today with their beers. No, extra equipment is needed, your usual sanitation routine should be fine.

I use Ebbergarden which is said to contain bacteria. I've not had a beer turn sour doing this, even when they've been bottled and kept for months.

Last edited:
So I've ordered 4 of them. Going to make an identical hoppy IPA for each to compare. Looking forward to this.
1000009647.png

Back