Hello from Bolton

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbert33

Regular.
Reaction score
Evening everyone. Im Tom from Bolton and im looking to get my teeth into brewing my own.

I already have a bit of kit from a previous attempt... i used to have an allotment with rediculous amounts of raspberries so i had a go around two years ago. It didnt go to plan so i stuck all my gear in the loft and forgot about it.... until now.

I have at my disposal:

x5 glass demijohns
x40 or so glass bottles
x1 5 gal fermenting tub
x1 keg
x1 heat belt

and other bits and bobs like a corker sterilising tablets etc.

I've read on a threat about a raspberry wine made from some polish cordial so im going to give that a go tomorrow.

As im a complete novice though i have a few questions. Would caster sugar be ok to use and would baking yeast be ok to use?

I'm also a bit of a baker so caster sugar and yeast are never far away in this house so if i can get away with using them i can reduce the cost of my alcohol even more.

Really looking forward to starting my new hobby and learning more.

Regards

Tom

Hi and welcome Tom, not the one to help with your wine queries as I'm a beer man but I'm sure others will be along to help.

Thanks dennisking. Wjen i first got my kit i also tried a porter but it was so vile... im sure it could have killed a small nation thats why im more of a wine guy BUT im not one to say never. There is a homebrew shop in Bolton called Spittingfeathers im thinking of going there on the weekend to see what i can get my hands on. I may pick up a beer kit. is there any that you can recommend?

welcome
As a novice beer maker you want to really stick with the main recognised manufacturers, but your in luck, between them they make most styles of beer.
As a rule 2 can beer kits are far superior but cost a bit more ( but you don't have to buy any extra sugar )
You will need a 30 litre plastic fermenting bucket at least.
So its not really something to do at the drop of a hat, browse the forum and read the How to's so you get an idea first. However the kits are easy to do.

For wine making you need to use a wine yeast of the type for that sort of wine. Bakers yeast is inferior for wine making....save it for the bread.

Welcome - where abouts is spitting feathers in Bolton, i believe there used to be one in Wigan too but closed down, i think??

mattrickl06 said:
Welcome - where abouts is spitting feathers in Bolton, i believe there used to be one in Wigan too but closed down, i think??

Its on Tonge Moor Road bout mid way down. Still definatley open. Ill let you know how i get on.

Hi,
Spitting feathers Wigan,
50 Gidlow Lane
Wigan

Definitely still open!

Latest posts

Back