Hello from Colorado, USA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great forum! Looking forward to picking your brains in regards to English style ales past and present.
Welcome Big_Eight. I'm guessing you're not a newbie, but have been brewing for some time.
A question: I use two main supplies over here, both in Ireland. If I order Honey malt from one it comes from Colorado and from the other it comes from Canada (Gambrinus Maltings). The two are entirely different. What do you guys in CO use it for?

Welcome Big_Eight. I'm guessing you're not a newbie, but have been brewing for some time.
A question: I use two main supplies over here, both in Ireland. If I order Honey malt from one it comes from Colorado and from the other it comes from Canada (Gambrinus Maltings). The two are entirely different. What do you guys in CO use it for?

Personally I use it to add a slight sweetness in certain wheat beers. It can be used in up to 10% percent of the grist but I prefer 2%-5%.

Edit: It is also used in some Irish Reds here.

Last edited:
Recently, I've been trying different Boddington's recipes and going through a nice collection of them on Ron's Barclay Perkins blog; I also have his vintage beer book.

I'm also planning at some point to get a beer engine/hand pump and set it up in my home office with a line running down to the basement to a pin cask. Plan to use a aspirator on the cask to keep a blanket of CO2 on the beer for longevity. This is a ways down the road though.

For now just running in a 5 gallon keg in the kegerator. I've seen some mods using cube containers and such but going to try my hand at a pin cask first.

Last edited:
Hi @Big_Eight and welcome along!

We have a few US based members among us here now, I think that's great!
There's even an Australian! All the colonies are represented :)
Good to add an international flavour to some of these threads.

I'm sure a couple of our resident Americans will be happy to help with translations from English to American (I'm bilingual too), to help decipher the very complex metric system used widely in the forum, and to help identify when Brits are being funny but just appearing rude to every other nation on earth.

Nice to meet you!

Greetings from the wilderness of Arizona. (south of Phoenix)
Great bunch of folk here. I can offer translation assistance as well, since I'm married to a British girl who got me into brewing >10yrs ago so I would stop complaining about "crappy American beer".

Come south when ya get fed up with the snow. :cool:

Greetings from the wilderness of Arizona. (south of Phoenix)
Great bunch of folk here. I can offer translation assistance as well, since I'm married to a British girl who got me into brewing >10yrs ago so I would stop complaining about "crappy American beer".

Come south when ya get fed up with the snow. :cool:

Spent a week in Chandler in mid 2018.
I will never complain about the hot British summers again. How society functions in that heat I have no idea.
"It's a heatwave" says The Sun newspaper.
No.
It's not.

Spent a week in Chandler in mid 2018.
I will never complain about the hot British summers again. How society functions in that heat I have no idea.
"It's a heatwave" says The Sun newspaper.
No.
It's not.

I was in Phoenix, AZ in July a few years ago and never again lol the temp was hovering around 48°C. Maybe in December.

Edit: I changed my temp to 48°C from 43°C. It was actually 48°C yes °48C when I was there.

The high here today is a balmy 6°C.

Last edited:
I was in Phoenix, AZ in July a few years ago and never again lol the temp was hovering around 43°C. Maybe in December.

The high here today is a balmy 6°C.
We have migratory folk in my congregation from all over the US & Canada. They start appearing in late October and are gone by late May. The rest of us hide in caves generally built & equipped for the doldrums. For July-Sept 37-49°c. The entertainment comes with the 'monsoons' which drive the humidity into the unbearable in the heat.

Makes me thankful to have a fridge for fermenting. acheers.

We have migratory folk in my congregation from all over the US & Canada. They start appearing in late October and are gone by late May. The rest of us hide in caves generally built & equipped for the doldrums. For July-Sept 37-49°c. The entertainment comes with the 'monsoons' which drive the humidity into the unbearable in the heat.

Makes me thankful to have a fridge for fermenting. acheers.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that too; it rained a ton the day before I got there I've never felt anything like it with that heat and humidity. I'm glad you have a fridge too!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back