Hello from Hemel Hempstead, and a question on making vinegar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piper

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and, thus, introducing myself. Have made a few batches of beer (from kit) and a fair bit of wine (from hedgerows and various fruits).

Last year, in a fit of madness, I bought a cider kit (I think it was called Magnum). I made it as per instructions but didn't like the result (tasted a bit artificial) so I tried various ways of getting rid of it and decided to turn some of it into cider vinegar.

I'd never deliberately tried to make vinegar but the research I did seemed to suggest it was very easy. So, about 2 months ago, I bunged it into a spare 20lt polypin, left the cover off and covered it with a piece of kitchen roll to keep the flies out. It was about 6% abv, so should have taken (according to my notes) about 6 weeks to convert to vinegar (it was kept at room temperature).

I checked it last night. It had a slight scum on the surface, smelt horrible and tasted worse, but nothing like the shop-bought cider vinegar. It was also quite cloudy. So my question, has anyone else here deliberately tried to make vinegar and have you got any advice?

Cheers,
Steve

I am making 2 gallons of a bitter that turned to vinegar last autumn. The sediment is the bacteria called mother of vinegar and it is this that you want to keep for another batch. Also the acid content will be proportional to the alcohol content. I have read american sites where they increase the acidity by freeze (insert the D word) it but that is a subject which we are not allowed to discuss on this forum.

graysalchemy said:
I have read american sites where they increase the acidity by freeze (insert the D word) it but that is a subject which we are not allowed to discuss on this forum.

Actually, I think it's legal and possibly permissable on this forum to mention the D word in relation to vinegar, but I'd be quite happy with 6% acetic acid, so no need to use the freeze "D word" (or "applejacking", as they call it over there).

I just checked my home-made cider vinegar against the shop-bought one. Apart from being cloudy and not tasting like the proper stuff, mine currently has a SG of 1.000 and, according to my Vinometer, a reading of 3% abv. The one bought from the supermarket has an SG of 1.010 and also a reading of 3% abv on my Vinometer - would the shop-bought one contain any alcohol or is my Vinometer wrong?

It's been going about 8 weeks so by my reckoning it should be finished (I heard it converts at a rate of 1% per week). Should I zap it with a Campden, add some finings and see what happens? I don't want to have to start racking it into other vessels but I would like to get a decent quality cider vinegar from this so my partner can use it for making chutneys and preserves.

Back