Hello From South West Scotland

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foggie

Reaction score
I started brewing to the late 1970’s, but my brother lifted my brewing kit when I was away at College and just gave me it back about 8 years ago.

I’m down here in the South West of Scotland with no bus service after 6pm so a pint in your local pub is very much a planned event.

I stared with the basic kits and brewing sugar, but then found Wherry on sale for a similar cost and made the move to premium kits, buying mainly during sales

I’d probably brew about 10 kits a year and I've started to experiment with dry hoping and teas. Washing and clearing up are the big challenges, so my not be suited to a change to grain brewing.

I’m mainly here to pick up some tips and to put more structure into my brewing.

It's good to be here.

I see that many brewers like to know exactly what is happening. I tendded to work on the theory that if the brew is fermenting leave well alone and open the bucket only if you must.

It's only sitting here typing this that the penny dropped.

Most fermenters sold these days have a tap and an air lock, so it is easy to sample beer without letting air in. Doh...

Welcome aboard.

I think "leave it alone" comes with experience and also an understanding that yeast have been making beer for millennia without you & without a plethora of ICBW.

A warm welcome, and good to see another member joining from Scotland. How far away from Glasgow are you as there's a pretty decent homebrew shop there with plenty of kits, which avoids the postage charge.

A warm welcome, and good to see another member joining from Scotland. How far away from Glasgow are you as there's a pretty decent homebrew shop there with plenty of kits, which avoids the postage charge.
I'm just down the Road - 80 miles south down the forest track to Newton Sewart is 2hrs. There are better roads, but this is the fastest if you avoid wood lorries. Just down the road as in - Local shops 15 miles, Local "Big Supermarket" 60 miles. Next day delivery - can be 2 days sort of way.

I used to go to Glasgow Home Brew when I stayed in Knightswood. Was handy for the tunnel on my way down, but been away about 7 years now.

Nearest "Brewing Store" was Wilko, but by what I see on Click and Collect have stopped selling kits within 90 miles of me so I assume they are stopping.

But now I've got to buy enought for free delivery from the net.

:cool:Hard Life - NOT

Just popped on to update picture

Meet MrMister. He is a Cauga/Runner Duck Cross and is one of the Crushed Malt waste disposal units.

Today has been a bottling day.
18l Winter Ale - 8% half with an expresso shot charge - 330ml bottles
18l Munton Oaked Craft Ale -6.6% Blue Cap - 330ml bottles.

BIAB

I was keen to read the BIAB thread (Brew in a Bag) because i'd seen several companies trying to get Hipsters to start brewing beer by just adding water to a bag, wait 7 days and it's party time. Think at one time there was a Munstons wherry, and I see some brew in a can adds on amazon.

Think i'll need a 101 in brewing TLA/FLA's

Latest posts

Back