Help! Harvest advice needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogermort

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi Hop pickers.

Just harvesting my hops and have cut the bines down. However, I now have to go away for a week!

Should I:

A) Freeze the 'wet' hop cones in batches three times heavier than I'd usually use them?

Or

B) Leave the picked hop cones to dry in the garage for a week naturally and vac pack when I get home?

Advice gratefully received.

If it helps you decide…. Last year, I used a dehydrator then froze the dry hops for keeping. My pal, grew the same hops, same harvest day, he just froze the wet cones. When we brewed with them (same recipe) the beer was fine from both, a small difference in taste, but nothing bad.

There was one drawback to his method though, his wife was not impressed with the amount of freezer space he needed!

If it helps you decide…. Last year, I used a dehydrator then froze the dry hops for keeping. My pal, grew the same hops, same harvest day, he just froze the wet cones. When we brewed with them (same recipe) the beer was fine from both, a small difference in taste, but nothing bad.

There was one drawback to his method though, his wife was not impressed with the amount of freezer space he needed!
Not a beer brewer here, but my wife has a similar view on how much freezer space I take up with chopped apples as I collect enough to make it worthwhile doing a cider pressing!

Arrakus, what ratio did he use the wet hops at compared to your dry cones?
While I've never used wet hops for bittering, I understand you need 6-7 times the weight of dried hops.
But seeing as you'll only have a vague idea of the alpha acid content, it's all a bit woolly.
I grow several varieties and use them straight from the bine as late and "whirlpool" hops, using dried hops of known alpha content for bittering.

While I've never used wet hops for bittering, I understand you need 6-7 times the weight of dried hops.
But seeing as you'll only have a vague idea of the alpha acid content, it's all a bit woolly.
I grow several varieties and use them straight from the bine as late and "whirlpool" hops, using dried hops of known alpha content for bittering.
And the same comparable ratio for aroma?

I'd say b) as that's what I do, but you need to turn them every day or so, or the wet bit stay at the bottom and they can go mouldy. You can't do that if you're going away.
I think this is what I'm going to risk. They are all on mesh 'blankets' and in the dark so it will be a week-long drying process and I'll vac/freeze them as soon as I get home.
Ironically my best ever crop, 1.4kg of Cascade, 1kg of Challenger and 800grams of Northern Brewer.

Ironically my best ever crop, 1.4kg of Cascade, 1kg of Challenger and 800grams of Northern Brewer.
Mine are looking great this year too, think I'll get a bumper crop as well, the Challenger in particular - they have gone mad, only planted last year.

Yours should be fine if you've got netting and ventilation underneath.

6 times the amount was used - from advice on here. Per AA, it’s a bit trial and error due to the lack of analysis on the oils.

Latest posts

Back