Help with a Bock n how to BIAB..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all you lovely people!
Hope Easter is good one?
Anyways....
Sorry I’ve been under the radar (again!!) with touch n go in hospital ova Xmas..getting better..then a common cold just smash me again..it isn’t going to stop me...
Just a recap for those know me! I suffer from typing dirarea!! So bear with me and I hope this makes sence...hopefully :-)
A simple maybe request, but my memory isn’t good as most know.
I want to make a Bock (23l) using BIAB..but for the life of me I forgot how to do BIAB..so could anyone take me through it!
There is a Bock kit form my pal is looking at...seems that kits are getting better n better?
Apart from the yeast n hops they provide, it’ll easy...so know memory lost so far!
In the past I’ve done AG double Bock and Bock but not BIAB.
Maybe getting the kit and changing the hops n yeast be a good start! What you think?
By the time I get the ingredients etc for a BIAB the £15 for the kit..be a bit expensive..but the quality be better..
Any thoughts or just taking the Micky out of me, I’ll apreciate it lol.
The grim reaper was a bellend again...but got knacked!!
Happy Easter all..
Bri

I cannot help with your question but am glad to hear to hear the grim reaper failed again Bri. :thumb:

Thought you had a gainfather Bri? Any reason you want to do BIAB instead of just using the GF?

Don’t tell us you still haven’t replaced your broken GF lid?! Great to hear from you.

thanks so much for replying guys, I appreciate it.
my whole AG kit is with a great bloke, at the time I got ill (AGAIN!!) everything was too much...so I sold the stuff.
I could use the kit anytime...just wanted about BIAB etc....I hate my memory..
still loving homebrewing, atm being a kind of agony uncle....helping two blokes on starting on brewing....one is got it straight away!
think when I get more stonger, and put on the weight I lost I'm going for a kit extract BIAB etc.
anyways I tried a guiness clone last week....must be well over a year old...aposulty perfect!!
so on weds night for blokes nite ill try one or two.
catch yall later...our lass wants me to watch a movie with her....:-( things I do ta make her happy lol
bri

Hallow pal,
Slowly getting my creating juices going again for brewing...this tim could I actually form a one handed BIAB!! Of course I could!! Mind it’ll take a bit of adaption and trial n error!!
The weight isn’t the prob! Coz my good arm is really strong n I mean strong lol
If there’s a way n all that I’ll find it!
Atm looking on my old 27l HLT with a element cover...
The dials could be used with inkbird for temp control..
If I can lift a 23l basket out of a GF no probs with one hand maybe a BIAB isn’t going to harder!! Just the mess I reckon...lol
Prob looking at a citrus IPA!! Why not! Why coz I love it.
Any help with the hlt etc..two minds are better than one...and the one (me) is like a small sponge lol
Thx
Bri

Was thinking (omg! Bri thinking!!) what about a rolling boil with the hlt? How much water for a decent brew, n the boil off rate...
Is it going to be a 90 min boil?
Think all these questions go back to the old threads when I wanted to use a mash tun, hlt system..
Dead space, boil off, grain absorption etc etc..
Going to be a no chill method..up to 20l (cubes)
Least my brain is starting to think!!
Think today is BIAB on the net n YouTube etc....
By that time hoping it’s not info overload or my brain be pickled!!
Lol
Bri

at the end of the day (apart from getting dark!)
the way ahead is save up and get a new GF connect!!
one thing I got used to it, managed allright we one arm..and GF have a great after market and listen to us!
and they still here.
bri

You hang the bag in the mash kettle. Fold it over the edges.
Also its a good idea to place some sort of flase bottom (anything really) in the kettle to prevent the bag from touching the bodem. This prevents burning of the bag.
Then you add malt to the bag, mash as usual.
You then lift the bag with the malt from the pan ,let it drain a bit in the pan, and transfer it to another container.
Now you let the bag cool for a bit. In the mean time, heat up your kettle for the boiling step.
When the bag has a cooled a bit squeeze as much as you can to get as much wort out of it as possible. Add this to the kettle.
If you like you can now also try sparging a bit, but I wouldn't botter. Why do BIAB if you're going to do a sparge.

Rest is just the same as usual.

You hang the bag in the mash kettle. Fold it over the edges.
Also its a good idea to place some sort of flase bottom (anything really) in the kettle to prevent the bag from touching the bodem. This prevents burning of the bag.
Then you add malt to the bag, mash as usual.
You then lift the bag with the malt from the pan ,let it drain a bit in the pan, and transfer it to another container.
Now you let the bag cool for a bit. In the mean time, heat up your kettle for the boiling step.
When the bag has a cooled a bit squeeze as much as you can to get as much wort out of it as possible. Add this to the kettle.
If you like you can now also try sparging a bit, but I wouldn't botter. Why do BIAB if you're going to do a sparge.

Rest is just the same as usual.

thx pal,
its refreshing to sort out my memory banks (well whats left lol)
now as I was reading it came back..
so really appreciate help.
just finalising a few recipes....using my old GF from @BeardedMag
happy days.
bri

Back