Help with All Grain - Agggh

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badger

Reaction score
After making my own mash tun, I spent a few hours on youtube / looking through the how to on the forum and I'm still a bit clueless about what I'm doing :nah:

I'm looking to make a Guinness clone and have:

Goldings Leaf hops 50g
Crystal Malt 1kg
Flaked Barley 500g
Roast Barley 500g
Optic Pale Malt 1.5kg
Chocolate Malt 100g
Black Malt 100g

I've a 35 litre pot. I was going to heat up all of my grains with about 30 litres of water to 68° then pour and let it "steep" in the mashtun for about 90 minutes, sparge it a couple of times before boiling up again this time adding the hops. Let it cool, add to my fv and pitch the yeast?

How far off am I? :lol:

Cheers in advance

Guinness is just pale malt, roast barley and flaked barley.

Mix the grain and water in the mash tun, not the pot. Heat water first obviously. Water needs to be about 75C, the grain will cool it down. Use about 3 liters per kg in the mash, use the rest for sparging. I find 60 minutes is enough for the mash.

Good luck!

I'd be a bit wary of all that roasted malt in there as you have choccy, black and roasted barley. I'd be tempted to leave the the black out as the beer may be a bit harsh

Oooooh I get you! Thanks! Spose I could always use the black malt in the next batch in lu of the chocolate if it's a bit grim!

I'd say your rather low on your base malt, and way high on your crystal and dark malts for a 19-20L batch. Guinness is foremost a dry stout, so any additional body and sweetness is counter productive. Eliminate the crystal and reduce the dark malts to less than 10%. You might want to check out one one the popular software programs such as Beersmith, or one of the popular clone recipes such as Papizian's toad spit stout.

If you look closely at Guinness it is really a dark mohagany in the bottom of the glass. Golding's will be fine, but might be a little light in bitterness depending upon their AA%. I believe Guinness uses Northern Brewer hops for bittering. I also believe roasted barley is the only black or brown malt they use as well. Finally, in order to get the dryness you want, you will want to keep your saccarification rest to about 64C, lest it be flabby and too sweet.

Hope this helps and cheer! Good luck.

Matt

This is the recipe for Guinness from hopandgrain.com

OG: 1039
ABV: 4.1%

70% pale malt
20% flaked barley
10% roasted barley

45IBUs Bullion - 60min

Ferment at 62F.

I believe Galena hops were bred to replace Bullion, and I've read that Guinness uses Galena, Nugget or Target hops, according to Roger Protz.

I did a guinness clone on friday. I got the recipe from G.W's book. The grist bill is exactly the same as what you posted clibit with Target as the hops. Although I used Northern Brewer as I have a lot of em in my freezer.

My OG was 1.037 due to a school boy error but I'm using Notty so should get the correct ABV%

I'm hoping It will turn out more like sam smith draught stout (never actually found as receipe for SS draught stout) rather then Guinness. Guinness has fruity a note (not that I really mind) which I think comes from the Guinness yeast whereas SS stout has a cleaner dryer taste so am hoping the neutrallity of notty as well as it's high attenuation will let the roasted barley sing through. I also mashed t 64C

Sounds like the recipe is in hand..
working out the variables of your tun n kit will take a few brews, trial and error, to set the mash temperature its generaqlly accepted to
1) heat the tun up first with a couple of kettlefulls of off the biol water first, and discard this water when the tun is hot.
2) heat the mash liquor upto a strike temp 75c mentioned above, my ol coldbox tun with a preheat would hit a good mash temp after doughing in (mixing) using a strike temperature of 71-72C
To hit your target mash temp i would suggest you pick a strike temp And then have an off the boil kettle full of hot water and a jug of cold water and add either as needed to mash to fine tune the temperatrure
once the lid is on, wrap it up and dont open till done.. lifting the lid will let heat escape..

underletting (letting the strike liquor in through the drain valve) if practicaL makes the mixing or doughing in much easier..

Over about 400 batches, my experience is that with the mash tun already heated to temp, grain at room temperature has enough thermal mass to lower you mash liquor temp by about 6 degrees C, or 10 degrees F. This is based upon my normal water to grain ratios of 1.25 - 1.85 QTS per lb. I think that's about equivalent to 2-3 L per kg, but it definitely covers the range of mash ratios used by nearly all commercial brewers.

One simple way to remove the variable of the thermal mass of the mash vessel is to heat the liquor in it. I have a stainless mash tun that can be direct fired. Anyone doing BIAB in a metal vessel will have the same advantage. I also often use an electric heating element such as a bucket heater, which is quite safe in a plastic vessel, such as an insulated cooler. It can be very inexpensive, but is quite slow.

Back