help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druid

Reaction score
A while back, I read something about adding flavour to your beer kit by using added grains. No big surprise there, but if I remember correctly, the grains were cracked, boiling water poured on them, then they were put in the fridge overnight??? Then they were added to the kit the next day. Im sure this is what I read but dont know what it is called to search for it........any help?

Cheers

No not so much what kind of grain...but the process...whats it called? My understanding is that in AG brewing you would boil the grains for a period, then cool them etc. This process didnt seem to do all that. It was a cheat if I remember, . I would like to try it, but would like to be clear on what I am doing.

Not tried cold steeping. Wot I do is steep the grain at about 65-70*C for about 30 mins. Drain the liquor into a pot, sparge the grains with water at about 85*C and then boil the liquor for 15 mins minimum to sterilise. If you use boiling water to sparge the grain there is a chance that you will strip out unwanted tannins. It is OK to steep any grain that has been kilned like crystal malt, but any grain that has free starch present e.g torrified wheat must be mashed with a diastase containing grain like pale malt to convert the starch to fermentable sugars and not just steeped.

Last edited:
Back